• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Moving a program loaded old hard drive to new computer to avoid re-installing all

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

philalethes

Donator
Jul 1, 2020
I have a 12 year old Lenovo laptop that has evolved from Vista to Win 7, and I have huge number of favorite old comfortable programs installed, many cracks, etc., But the time came to get a replacement machine, more RAM, faster. The old one had 250 G SSD, as did the new one. So I wished to try putting the old SSD into the new computer, and get around trying to re-install all the programs. (plus I didn't want the Win 10 on the newer SSD)
Instead of swapping physical drives, I imaged the old C: with Macrium. Made a boot disc. Booted the new laptop from Macrium boot and replaced the contents of the new drive with the old image. i also first imaged the Win 10 and stored in case I ever need to revert to this with its license.)
Of course, the hardware had changed, so when I booted i got BSOD and could not get to Windows.
stop: 0x0000007B (0x80786A58, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
TIP: The stop error screen flashed by so fast I had to video the start screen so I can freeze the one frame showing the error! Internet says this is hardware problem with accessing drive.

“STOP 0x0000007B errors are caused by device driver issues (especially those related to hard drive and other storage controllers), viruses, data corruption, and sometimes even hardware failures.”
----------------------------
from my notes:
[Solved—I tried using Windows Repair, booting off USB stick. It couldn’t fix the boot problem.

Then I booted from Paragon Adaptive Restore (PAR)CD, which helps you move an older hard drive onto a new computer with different hardware.

It fixed the MBR and adapted my image file to the new SSD's “geometry.”

After that it booted into Windows 7; I d/l’ed new drivers to match new hardware and it is good to go! (windows saw new hardware and accepted the old license on the drive)

--------------------------------------
I have uploaded the old PAR.iso to burn your own boot CD to one of my Google Drive accounts. Here is the link for your PRIVATE use:

Paragon has newer versions such as Paragon Harddisk Manager which you can get at crackingpatching.com. I have not tried this newer prog yet and think it also has the tools to do the same, but cannot say.

Last edited:
Not surprised at all about the device drivers.
For the uninitiated, thinkpads are kind of odd systems. Don't get me wrong I currently have an i7 T460s which I love the heck out of. They are the original toughbooks with perhaps the best keyboards in the business. That's also why you have to retire a 12 year old system, they don't die. The only problem they ever have is fan related. I also have an i7 Thinkpad Yoga 2 which is well, odd. They are supposed to have hinge issues. The Yoga 2 lives at my GF's condo, can't say it's great.
Anyway if you've ever loaded a Thinkpad T series from scratch they require a pantload of drivers to work properly. Honestly if you pulled that transfer off, following you instructions on a Dell or even a HP should be quite easy in comparison.
I grabbed one of those highly rated programs that are supposed to be able to move everything from one type system to another from the torrents. It worked OK, not everything transferred well and I think system performance took a hit for whatever reason. No way is it worth buying.

I went from old IdeaPad Y510 to refurbed ThinkPad T450, so maybe I lucked out, both being Lenovo; I might have had any odd Lenovo drivers already.
Yes, the old IdeaPad wouldn't die, but hinge was broke and screen has been propped up for years! I've replaced 2 fans, so I bought a backup fan when I got the refurb Thinker.
I agree again. This is best keyboard. And the refurb came with 16 gigs RAM! I'm very pleased.
Now Lenovo mails me weekly about getting a new one, but anything out of China these days is to me, not so wise. There's enough backdoors in Microshaft coded in Jerusalem....as well as from Intel moving there.

Well I am setting up a dozen M83 desktops today. Lenovo's stuff is quirky by that I mean it's their way or no way. They do a heck of a job keeping the correct vetted drivers ready for your system. You had better follow their directions though, no shortcuts.

Have you considered just simply cloning the drive to the new laptop? I have an officially, as of 2021 (I located the original receipts and verified I purchased it in 2011 - Happy B'day to my HP) that had a 640GB mech HD and decided to replace it with a new 1TB SSD. I used Acronis (my chosen product but there are others out there) to clone the drive to the new SSD and it worked perfectly!

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

Hi Wonderz-
that's exactly what I did, as stated:
"Instead of swapping physical drives, I imaged the old C: with Macrium. Made a boot disc. Booted the new laptop from Macrium boot and replaced the contents of the new drive with the old image. i also first imaged the Win 10 and stored in case I ever need to revert to this with its license.)"

Back