• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Need help installing Windows 10 onto laptop running off usb drive

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Bushiobrao

Feb 15, 2021
Hello everyone,,
I'm installing Windows onto a Toshiba Satellite C675 onto a laptop missing the hard drive. I'm temporarily installing/running the laptop off of a flash drive https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps, but on the part telling me to select the driver to install, nothing is there even though I plugged in the USB. What do I do?

Last edited:
I Recommend trying to run a live usb of some simple linux distro like ubuntu or manjaro or mxlinux
as of trying to install and running windows off a usb drive i have never heard of an easy way to do it as it was never built to run off a removable usb stick

I am not being mean and please forgive me for not knowing how to say this gently as my words are failing me and that is on me.....you made a comment yourself "as it was never built to run off a removable usb stick" so I hate to say this but - you cannot run Windows 10 off a removable USB. Part of the problem is the OS needs size flexibility for the paging file and other files that it has to open and close and decompress due to what it is being called upon to do. The other part of the problem is that it is not a permanent drive and the USB will always be seen as a removable disk.

Save the stress and either get a HD or toss the entire laptop and get a new one. I did a cursory check on the Toshiba website for the model you gave and most of the model variations are dating back as far as 2011 and were issued with Windows 7. It really is time to toss the laptop and get a new one.

If money is a problem I have an excellent suggestion that is not only valid for your situation but for anyone looking for parts or a learning machine. I belong to a website group that started on Yahoo decades ago. It is a "green movement" that is excellent. It is called Freecycle.org and here is how it works.

1. Sign up with your email address for free
  2. It is based on individual groups based on geographical location
  3. You subscribe to your preferred location group's email newsletter/postings
  4. You can subscribe to as many groups as you want there is no limit
  5. EVERYTHING MUST BE FREE THERE IS NO SELLING ALLOWED
  6. You can post you are looking for things or that you are offering things
  7. The concept is to keep as much out of landfills as possible for as long as possible
  8. It is based on the concept that just that it is obsolete, broken or you are just upgrading something doesn't mean it cannot be of use to someone else for either parts or maybe they have the skills to fix it. There are many hobbyists out there.
  9. You post and then the post goes out to the subscribers and then they get a link for each individual posting that you click on and reply through the site and the site sends the reply back to the original poster without revealing their contact information unless they reply directly to you and give it directly to you. You then work out pick up/delivery arrangements between yourselves.
I have seen awesome things offered, washing machines/dryers, TVs, even a non-working car was offered which wound up being a great father son backyard bonding project for someone. Remember these are all old and possibly broken or not working items so don't expect to get a plasma TV with surround sound or a Corvette. I have gotten several computers and given an old stereo I could not fix that someone else did and a computer. It is also good to give clothing away on there. I avoid clothing bins religiously because they usually (98% of the time) wind up being a criminal enterprise pretending to be a charity and they sell the clothes overseas.

Maybe you can post on there (if there is a group in your area) and get a hard drive or a newer laptop.....

BTW - I am still on my own 2011 machine (HP DV7-6b32US) but I have upgraded it to its maxed out capacity - 1TB SSD for the C:/ and 1TB HD for a second physical internal drive (laptop has 2 drive slots/bays), 16GB RAM (MOBO cannot go any further) and 64 bit Win10 Pro but as much as love my girl I know that I have to replace her and will be doing so within the next few months but still intend to keep using her until she drops.

Hope that helps......

Wonder Woman

Back