• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Quick Fix for Slow Internet in Windows 11

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Nov 2, 2021
So recently I installed Windows 11 on my HP gaming desktop (Ryzen 5 3600, GTX1650 Super...) and noticed my internet was unusually slow (Download ~30mbps at best, upload don't even ask). At first I thought it was maybe the drivers that Windows picked for my external TP-Link Archer T4U Plus WiFi adapter. Tried installing the ones from TP-Link, no dice. Tried switching to the internal (and very crappy) Realtek card, same problem). At this point I thought Win11 may have just messed my computer up or something, since my cell phone was getting insane speeds in comparison. Then after a bit of looking online (there isn't much on this stuff since Win11 is quite new), I found a quick fix that I was surprised actually worked!

All you need to do is go to Settings>Network & Internet>Advanced Network Settings>Network Reset, and click "Reset Now". Then manually restart if you don't wanna wait 5 minutes for the auto restart. Once restarted, simply re-enter your WiFi credentials. Went from ~22mbps down and ~20mbps up on average before to ~222 up and ~60+ down.

Just trying to figure out why this works. So were your network credentials a carry-over from the previous win 10 setup? I wonder exactly what changed from Win 10 to Win 11. That USB adaptor uses the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset which is pretty popular. I am wondering now if this is a USB translator or the actual network connection that's the problem. A simple netstat /release then /renew would clear up the network side of it you would think so that has me thinking it's more of a USB related problem. Unfortunately I am using deduction and that could be way off. Is there any way to duplicate your problem or did your fix permanently take care of it?
-Sorry this is how my brain works. It was either rewired by my profs or was born this way. I'll add to this thread if I can find anything else out about this chipset.

Just trying to figure out why this works. So were your network credentials a carry-over from the previous win 10 setup? I wonder exactly what changed from Win 10 to Win 11. That USB adaptor uses the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset which is pretty popular. I am wondering now if this is a USB translator or the actual network connection that's the problem. A simple netstat /release then /renew would clear up the network side of it you would think so that has me thinking it's more of a USB related problem. Unfortunately I am using deduction and that could be way off. Is there any way to duplicate your problem or did your fix permanently take care of it?
-Sorry this is how my brain works. It was either rewired by my profs or was born this way. I'll add to this thread if I can find anything else out about this chipset.
I totally forgot about netstat stuff, this fix was something I found when desperately trying to fix the issue in a hurry. And to answer your question, the credentials were not a carry over. I clean installed Win11 on this thing.

Thanks for the reply. That's really bizarre that took place. I am sure you aren't alone with that problem, thanks for the share. Now I am really curious what's going on. It's got to be an anomaly with the AMD chipset. Hmmm.

Thanks for the reply. That's really bizarre that took place. I am sure you aren't alone with that problem, thanks for the share. Now I am really curious what's going on. It's got to be an anomaly with the AMD chipset. Hmmm.
Not sure whether you have had something about this before but there was something mentioned in this article https://www.howtogeek.com/763433/the-fix-for-slow-amd-processors-on-windows-11-is-here/ that mentioned slow internet and AMD. May not be connected but worth a peep.

oldgeek

IOBit Advance System Care with the Internet Improvements fixes this and even speeds things up for sure :)

This and IOBit Driver Booster for me keeps it BLAZING FAST ALL THE TIME

Attachments

• 2022-08-27_11-27-49.png
    2022-08-27_11-27-49.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 5
Funnily this was similar to the advice my phone network provider advise me - put my phone on aeroplane mode for three minutes.
My guess is it possibly requests credentials again - if in doubt turn it off and on again. If that fails hit it with a hammer.

So just to expand this a bit and try to narrow this down, here's the first big question: Is this performance on your home network or is it everywhere? What's the source of your bandwidth? A coble provider or Fiber To The Premise (FTTP such as Fios), or are you using a hotspot from your phone?
If it's a hot spot from your phone, there is a very, very long list of problems that you could have encountered. This is why when I hear some phone providers trying to sell 5G as a home Internet service, I cringe.
I was lead on a project to develop digital signage as a completely remote stand-alone service delivering HD video content and the ability to deliver and control the programming completely over wireless cellular Internet. We had entered an agreement with Sprint at the time to be our primary carrier. I learned way more than I ever cared to about the working of cellular networking. At it's best, it's still a minor disaster. My boss made millions when we sold the company and it's rights.

tl:dr Is this. Those cellular radio frequency lines have a very limited bandwidth available regardless of the theoretical potential speeds the hardware may possess. To make it even worse, if you are subscribed to a MVNO ("Mobile Virtual Network Operator."), get in line because whoever your service is reselling has priority over available bandwidth. Why I ask is you mention a phone AND you mention shutting it off and reconnecting gives you good bandwidth for a little time until you are shuffled into the priority stack.

Moral Of The Story:
Forget cellular as a primary ISP. You will be constantly disappointed with the performance of the devices you connected. 5G is great for streaming and possibly gaming on your phone or tablet if your system has enough RAM to buffer the data. Otherwise stick to something hard wired or (Ugh) satellite if that's all that is available to you. Keep in mind if you think 5G is bad or even good at this point: It has a theoretical maximum governed by available tower space and money. Once you hit that brick wall, the party is over.

Back