IsabellaLucas

May 4, 2020
Canada
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.129
Hi
How can I copy data that is in use via robocopy from windows server 2012 to windows server 2016, I don't find any way to do this!
also, I need a way to copy share permissions.

Reactions: CarlosJuan

CarlosJuan

May 5, 2020
Australia
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.129

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.129
Where are the files located that you are trying to copy to the server?
but as an answer to your question
-robocopy can't copy open files
- share permissions are in the registry, not part of the file system. Robocopy handles NTFS permissions with the command noted. For shares, you need to copy registry entries.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/125996/saving-and-restoring-existing-windows-shares
That is one very unique and confusing set of conditions. So let me get this straight. Are you exchanging data real time between both systems while they're are both online and active? It doesn't sound like a simple back up. If open database files are in the mix you should already know the answer. I don't know if real-time data files can be switched around like that from inside Windows. I will be curious if there is a solution.

Reactions: ThumperTM

IsabellaLucas

May 4, 2020
Canada
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.129
That is one very unique and confusing set of conditions. So let me get this straight. Are you exchanging data real time between both systems while they're are both online and active? It doesn't sound like a simple back up. If open database files are in the mix you should already know the answer. I don't know if real-time data files can be switched around like that from inside Windows. I will be curious if there is a solution.
That is called copying open files, the main point that we need every change happens to the source file while it happened to be copied to the destination but as per CarlosJuan, robocopy can not copy open files or share permissions directly and that is a big problem for me:(

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.129
That is called copying open files, the main point that we need every change happens to the source file while it happened to be copied to the destination but as per CarlosJuan, robocopy can not copy open files or share permissions directly and that is a big problem for me:(
That was my point. Windows is not going to let that happen, period. I am wondering if there's a way to access those files using another O/S running concurrently with Windows but that's way, way beyond my skill set. We have some pretty clever members here. Maybe someone might jump in with a solution. Theoretically it should be possible I just don't have a clue.

CarlosJuan

May 5, 2020
Australia
OS
Android
BR
Chrome Mobile 81.0.4044.117
There are some file programs that can handle and solve the issue of copying open files and copying share permission and according to my experience I can recommend gs richcopy 360 and securecopy , but let me know, have you tried the solution that I mentioned for copying share permission which depends on registry entries?

IsabellaLucas

May 4, 2020
Canada
OS
Android
BR
Chrome Mobile 81.0.4044.117
There are some file programs that can handle and solve the issue of copying open files and copying share permission and according to my experience I can recommend gs richcopy 360 and securecopy , but let me know, have you tried the solution that I mentioned for copying share permission which depends on registry entries?
Thanks, I am doing well with gs richcopy 360, shared permissions copied without any problems and we can data while it in use.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 81.0.4044.138
Well you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks!

• Love