• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Robocopy data that is in use

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

IsabellaLucas

May 4, 2020
Hi
How can I copy data that is in use via robocopy from windows server 2012 to windows server 2016, I don't find any way to do this!
also, I need a way to copy share permissions.

Where are the files located that you are trying to copy to the server?
but as an answer to your question
-robocopy can't copy open files
- share permissions are in the registry, not part of the file system. Robocopy handles NTFS permissions with the command noted. For shares, you need to copy registry entries.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/125996/saving-and-restoring-existing-windows-shares
That is one very unique and confusing set of conditions. So let me get this straight. Are you exchanging data real time between both systems while they're are both online and active? It doesn't sound like a simple back up. If open database files are in the mix you should already know the answer. I don't know if real-time data files can be switched around like that from inside Windows. I will be curious if there is a solution.

That is one very unique and confusing set of conditions. So let me get this straight. Are you exchanging data real time between both systems while they're are both online and active? It doesn't sound like a simple back up. If open database files are in the mix you should already know the answer. I don't know if real-time data files can be switched around like that from inside Windows. I will be curious if there is a solution.

That is called copying open files, the main point that we need every change happens to the source file while it happened to be copied to the destination but as per CarlosJuan, robocopy can not copy open files or share permissions directly and that is a big problem for me:(

That is called copying open files, the main point that we need every change happens to the source file while it happened to be copied to the destination but as per CarlosJuan, robocopy can not copy open files or share permissions directly and that is a big problem for me:(
That was my point. Windows is not going to let that happen, period. I am wondering if there's a way to access those files using another O/S running concurrently with Windows but that's way, way beyond my skill set. We have some pretty clever members here. Maybe someone might jump in with a solution. Theoretically it should be possible I just don't have a clue.

There are some file programs that can handle and solve the issue of copying open files and copying share permission and according to my experience I can recommend gs richcopy 360 and securecopy , but let me know, have you tried the solution that I mentioned for copying share permission which depends on registry entries?

There are some file programs that can handle and solve the issue of copying open files and copying share permission and according to my experience I can recommend gs richcopy 360 and securecopy , but let me know, have you tried the solution that I mentioned for copying share permission which depends on registry entries?
Thanks, I am doing well with gs richcopy 360, shared permissions copied without any problems and we can data while it in use.

Well you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks!

Gs richcopy 360 is an affordable choice for that issue and I am happy that your problem solved .

Dears
I have the same problem but with Isilon Storage, some permissions are copied and the others not, many solutions are tried but the same problem still exist, can this tool copy all the permissions from my server to Isilon ? and what is its licenses policy for one year?

Dears
I have the same problem but with Isilon Storage, some permissions are copied and the others not, many solutions are tried but the same problem still exist, can this tool copy all the permissions from my server to Isilon ? and what is its licenses policy for one year?
No not all permissions appear to transfer to another operating system either local or remotely according to the documentation. This program can override local permissions that prevent copying.

No not all permissions appear to transfer to another operating system either local or remotely according to the documentation. This program can override local permissions that prevent copying.
many thanks, DVDR_Dog , I think I will end trying with EMCopy and Robocopy today because it still no way to copy all the permissions, now it is my step to contact the support of Gs richcopy360 to be sure that it will copy all kinds of permissions to Isilon storage

Well let us know what you find out from GS. At this point the only way I know of to achieve what you are asking for is a mirror copy or ghost of the entire work disk, not just selected files.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Dell support directed us to try a software called"datadobi" for the case of copying the permissions because EMCopy can't copy all the permissions, the good thing is datadobi can dose this job perfectly, the bad thing, this service on datadobi is very very expensive. So it was a good choice for me to contact the support of Gs Richcopy 360, it works and did the job very well. And the price was nothing compared to datadobi.
Thanks, DVDR_Dog

Back