• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

UNUSUAL SOUND FAULT.

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Sam Waylen

Nov 29, 2021
Hi there fellow Forumites
As I have previously said I am quite an uneducated novice.
I am using a Dell Computer with Windows 10 and I like listening to Music.
Several weeks ago I found that the sound I was getting was being spoiled by a strange noise.
Something like a rattle. The same sort ( kind of ) as when we used to pluck rulers that were held down to our desks at school .
If you got a bit skilful you could vary the note by changing the length of the vibrating ruler.
This noise permeated the overall sound coming from my speakers, ....Music or Speech.
I tried to do what I could to find its source and remove it but I did not really clinch it.
Then, to my surprise it went away, and the sound was as clear as a bell again !
I finds it a bit hard to believe that anyone else is having or has had, a similar glitch, but out of curiousity, and too, desparation, I would be really pleased if someone could help me out with this so that I can understand what the cause is, and too, how to Permanently remove it.
I hope this is possible...
Sam

Well honestly it could be many different problems.
The first thing you should probably do is get the OEM sound drivers from Dell specific to your model. Generic Microsoft drivers installed during a Windows install are not always the best fit.
What form of music (source: internet, MP3, flac, etc.) and program are you using to listen the music?
Is it just music affected or is it all audio?
Is it possibly a speaker problems and is it on board speakers or attached (if attached, Bluetooth or physical connection?)
The last and probably most difficult problem to chase is another program is in competition with the sound driver/software. That's trial and error on your end.

Hi there fellow Forumites
As I have previously said I am quite an uneducated novice.
I am using a Dell Computer with Windows 10 and I like listening to Music.
Several weeks ago I found that the sound I was getting was being spoiled by a strange noise.
Something like a rattle. The same sort ( kind of ) as when we used to pluck rulers that were held down to our desks at school .
If you got a bit skilful you could vary the note by changing the length of the vibrating ruler.
This noise permeated the overall sound coming from my speakers, ....Music or Speech.
I tried to do what I could to find its source and remove it but I did not really clinch it.
Then, to my surprise it went away, and the sound was as clear as a bell again !
I finds it a bit hard to believe that anyone else is having or has had, a similar glitch, but out of curiosity, and too, desperation, I would be really pleased if someone could help me out with this so that I can understand what the cause is, and too, how to Permanently remove it.
I hope this is possible...
Sam
Yes it is.

Well honestly it could be many different problems.
The first thing you should probably do is get the OEM sound drivers from Dell specific to your model. Generic Microsoft drivers installed during a Windows install are not always the best fit.
What form of music (source: internet, MP3, flac, etc.) and program are you using to listen the music?
Is it just music affected or is it all audio?
Is it possibly a speaker problems and is it on board speakers or attached (if attached, Bluetooth or physical connection?)
The last and probably most difficult problem to chase is another program is in competition with the sound driver/software. That's trial and error on your end.
Hi there, Dog,
I am well inclined to follow your advice .
Whilst looking for the OEM's however, I find that Dell, whose computer I use have refused two of the Identification numbers nfor them to start the process of finding my OEMs
However, I shall re-try since your suggestion makes the best sense
The Music I am listening to is Youtube stuff, soundtracks from BBC i Player, any other videos I feel like watching and too my own work on MuseScore ( a Music Programme )
I listen to speech as well and, it seems to me that whatever part of the computer is generating the very sdound itself ( the amplifier ?) has an intermittent fault.
The extremely ODD thing is that it all CORRECTED ITSELF for a couple of days, without me having done anything whatsoever. And that is the spooky part.
Meanwhile, thanks for your help so far....
Something tells me I may be getting back to you

Rock and Roll

Sam

With Dell you either enter your service tag (7 characters) located on a label on the underside of your system, alternatively you can enter the model which usually works.
If the tag is gone, use a command prompt to get the service tag number following the instructions HERE
You are always better using the service tag. Dell seem to use a grab bag of peripherals sometimes. You might want to check the device manager too. (Windows key + X), choose device manager from the list that pops up. Go to sound and you will see the make of the sound device listed there.

Back