What's new

Video Player not seeing .mpg files in folders!

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 50.000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

MLeonard

Aug 14, 2020
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 86.0.4240.198
Hello, would be grateful for any help with this please.

I have several .mpg video files in folders on my PC, which are visible and playable. However, when I try and use Windows 10 Video Editor to edit them, the 'add file' function within the App does not even see the files in the video folders, suggesting the folders are empty. However, these folders are definitely not empty and contain several .mpg working video files.

I have a new Lenovo Legion PC which seems to work perfectly so far in all other ways.

Thanks

ThumperTM

La Patróna
Owner
Aug 18, 2010
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 86.0.4240.198
Hello, would be grateful for any help with this please.

I have several .mpg video files in folders on my PC, which are visible and playable. However, when I try and use Windows 10 Video Editor to edit them, the 'add file' function within the App does not even see the files in the video folders, suggesting the folders are empty. However, these folders are definitely not empty and contain several .mpg working video files.

I have a new Lenovo Legion PC which seems to work perfectly so far in all other ways.

Thanks
Hi,

Do you know format of your video? Check file extension .MOV .MKV or other..

Microsoft video editor may not support your videos format.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 86.0.4240.198
.mpg is not supported by Windows 10 Video Editor. .mpg is a generic container you might try renaming the extension to .mp4. Better yet try a video inspection program like this freebie:
That will give you the lowdown on what's under the hood of your video and how to give it an extension WVE would accept.

Otherwise there are plenty of video editing program out there that will figure things like this out for you. I never found Microsoft and video for windows played that well with each other although ymmv.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 87.0.4280.66
VLC is the best
I believed that for many, many years. Lately it's been a little picky. I used to say VLC would play the lid off a can of kitty meat but no longer. It's getting tripped up by some granted not done well at all video compressed to the max. It gets confused and goes into an endless loop. Hopefully it's a bug that will be worked out in the future. Vis 'a vis recently I had to shut VLC down with the task manager b/c it was looping. MS Movies + TV played the clip fine. I do have the official HVEC codec installed for that player. It's worth noting VLC relies on a splitter and not codecs which is why it's so versatile.