• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

What's Up With Win 10 Tablets?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OK from a self-professed non-liker of tablets as a whole, Win 10 tablets are bad. I have a bunch of Acer Switch 10's (don't tell them but they are tablets) to prepare for resale. Well first I could go on about Acer aka Gateway 2000 aka Gateway and for my European friends Packard Bell all stunning brands in their own right but I won't. Their reputation speaks for itself.
If you want to torture yourself try reloading an OEM copy of Win 10 pro on one of these babies. It will load alright but forget Acer giving you any of the essential drivers to get this thing going. I found out the hard way that M/S doesn't really go out of their way anymore to accommodate tablets. For reasons of security procedures I wouldn't have been able to use the OEM restore partition but because of the source the former owner had erased that not to mention hobbled Windows to keep their end users from fiddling around with the O/S.
Well I finally finished up today and will just mirror the image on the rest of them next week but that was nuts.
An aside but this doggie may be getting out of IT at least for awhile. 15 years seem to be enough for me so who knows what's next could still be IT, we shall see. It's not right away. Touch screens belong on phones or anything that's too dinky to have an attached keyboard. I have people on both sides of the fence all day long but me and my big-ass hands are old school.

I love my Surface Pro 4 - 16-256, bought a Bamboo Pen for $15.00 and works perfect.. gees take it to the hospital on visits, watch all the TV i want, news, weather, sports. does great. Touch Screen is depends on what you want, buy a Bamboo Pen Ink. does all you want...

I love my Surface Pro 4 - 16-256, bought a Bamboo Pen for $15.00 and works perfect.. gees take it to the hospital on visits, watch all the TV i want, news, weather, sports. does great. Touch Screen is depends on what you want, buy a Bamboo Pen Ink. does all you want...
Granted yours is a Pro 4 and you must be a wealthy man to have the resources to own such a system. I still contend M/S should stay out of the hardware business. It hasn't worked out well for them in the past. M/S will never be Apple no matter how hard they try.

The 1,500 Windows tablets I was responsible for are done and sold.
My attention has shifted to a Samsung Android tablet which it seems Samsung made up new rules for it on the fly during it's production run. It's strictly a personal project. Trying to up it to 8.1. Roots just fine, won't accept any ROMs 7.1 or 8.1 regardless of the method. It's just a project thankfully.

No, not really wealthy, but i do save, and we found theSurface Pro 4's with extras, (Keyboard, DOCK, extra power cord, Pen) so bought 2 of them. Sold one, and still have the 2n, so I now have purchased a Surface Pro with i7-7660u, 512,16. Keyboard and Pen, for about 1/2 the MS price.. Both the Wife and I save, so we can have nice things. For me the Surface does all I want (Hospital stays avg 3 to 5 days.) Free Wifi, so i have all my special movies, and programs, forums. I do prefer the $15.00 Bamboo Ink pens over the MS Pen. I also Custom Build Desktops, but do not consider myself WEALTHY. (For me I make a Custom OS Windows 10 on WinPE USB then do a Custom Install.) That way I can have Pro OS and Office 2019 all with MAK Keys. Installed consider CLEAN Install. USB 3.1 works fine.

Happy to say I have conquered the Samsung Tab 10.1 Android 4.04 and it is happily running Android 7.1. One thread that seems to be running through all the tablets I work on is they seem to make up their own rules as far as I/O and BIOS settings. What I have found across a few brands.
1. They only seem to provide settings that will allow their factory image to be installed.
2. They don't care to have their products tinkered with although programs do exist that allow this within Android itself. Tablets are not hobbyist's systems.
3. The motivation seems to be this may be a result of avoiding warranty claims. Getting to the BIOS of some Acer tablets is incredibly hard until you figure out ALL the particulars and don't expect any help from Acer. in fact forget help from Acer for any problems for that matter.

If I was an average owner it's quite obvious what makes iPads so attractive. Reimaging them is a breeze and although Google drive does do back-ups they are not as seamless and Android nor Windows will bug you if you haven't backed-up lately. I own all 3 types of tablets BTW.

not as bad as a phone because it isn't right next to your skin
but you are carrying around a small microwave oven

Yeah, Windows phones, as well as Tablets, are not good.

Please ignore all of tolikkk's posts and do not follow any links provided.

Back