• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

What's Your Favorite File Viewing/Management program?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
I am ashamed to admit I rely way to heavily on Windows Explorer. I know there are far better alternatives available.
What's your go to program? What's your favorite program for specific file tasks. Passionate about a program?
Please share your thoughts with the board, I know I would like to know.

I personally modified my file explorer on Windows 11 using some tweaking tools to look like Windows 7. Sadly it did break the search, but I do use a program called "Everything" which searches way faster and better than Windows does...

Modded-Explorer.png
[/url]

I find Xplorer2 is the best file management. I love having dual pane view and can have multiple bookmarks for window presets.
It has built in Copy/Move that will preserve file dates as original, windows have history tabs, you can make preset commands, filter items, and plenty more!Xplorer2.jpg
Works well on win 7 & 10. Best advice don't try to use crack version but portable, never fails and no license popups.
Everything is OK but it doesn't show context within the file. No Preview.
For that on Win 7 (which I will use long as possible!) I still run old crack of Copernic Corporate which indexes everything automatically including emails (if you configure for that).Copernic.jpg
The best data-mining is DTSearch, but it only works on folders ("indices") you set up; and you have to do manual update periodically of each index as you add new files. I've had it for years and it still notifies me of updates with no questions asked!DTSearch.jpgCracking.jpg

Hi, newbie here. My favorite file-searcher is Everything (freeware). My favorite file manager is Unreal Commander (freeware). My favorite file-viewer is Quick View Plus ($$).

DH-Usenet
"Raise Cats — Not Kids!"

Everything is a useful tool...but USELESS if you can't remember the file name. I collect data from sites, even whole sites with Teleport Pro or HTTrack. I often save a whole webpage as PDF or HTTP, and they go into various data folders. 25 years of files later, you are NOT going to remember the name of some file you saved.

That's why I referred you to Copernic Desktop. But it's now become an annual paid for program, and it's gotten worse over the years. No one cares enough to crack it anymore! They have a trial version but once it expires, you lose most of your database it made.

I just found a new tool that also pulls up files based on keywords in the contents, AND, most usefully, displays the content, not just the file name. Any Text Searcher. https://anytxt.net
So far it is FREE. I expect one day after you get hooked on it, they may send out an "upgrade" and now demand you pay, but grab it now and keep the installer saved.

any text.png

Everything is a useful tool...but USELESS if you can't remember the file name. I collect data from sites, even whole sites with Teleport Pro or HTTrack. I often save a whole webpage as PDF or HTTP, and they go into various data folders. 25 years of files later, you are NOT going to remember the name of some file you saved.

That's why I referred you to Copernic Desktop. But it's now become an annual paid for program, and it's gotten worse over the years. No one cares enough to crack it anymore! They have a trial version but once it expires, you lose most of your database it made.

I just found a new tool that also pulls up files based on keywords in the contents, AND, most usefully, displays the content, not just the file name. Any Text Searcher. https://anytxt.net
So far it is FREE. I expect one day after you get hooked on it, they may send out an "upgrade" and now demand you pay, but grab it now and keep the installer saved.

View attachment 5647

Thank you!

I am ashamed to admit I rely way to heavily on Windows Explorer. I know there are far better alternatives available.
What's your go to program? What's your favorite program for specific file tasks. Passionate about a program?
Please share your thoughts with the board, I know I would like to know.
There's a number of free open source file managers under Utilities at PortableApps.

Without question I want dual pane.
Next, bookmarks to open favorite singles or pairs. I download constantly to one folder "downloads," then sort the files to their destinations
Ability to filter text, search within, copy options (like retain creation date)
It has multiple tabs (don't use) and tab history.
Of all I have tried over the years, Xplorer2 is the best.
You can get a portable version too which helps get around cracking it.
I have ultimate cracked, DM me if you need that and can't find from usual sources.
1687662103235.png

Without question I want dual pane.
Next, bookmarks to open favorite singles or pairs. I download constantly to one folder "downloads," then sort the files to their destinations
Ability to filter text, search within, copy options (like retain creation date)
It has multiple tabs (don't use) and tab history.
Of all I have tried over the years, Xplorer2 is the best.
You can get a portable version too which helps get around cracking it.
I have ultimate cracked, DM me if you need that and can't find from usual sources.
View attachment 6235
SEE YOUR PM/DM I sent :)

I like the app for sure :)

Last edited:
i too use windows explorer, and it's totally ok for me, i even don't use any additional upgrades. by the way, to spend more time on computer science i rely my college assignments on this resource

Last edited:
i too use windows explorer, and it's totally ok for me, i even don't use any additional upgrades
Nice of you to join in with your 2 cents.,...but I think the intention of the OP was to see what other choices are out there, since he said "I am ashamed to admit I rely way to heavily on Windows Explorer. I know there are far better alternatives available."
Despite the post title, I think you missed the intention of this discussion. In other words, to be clear, you didn't add anything new for all to learn.

Back