• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Wierd Problem with My ISP

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
So after a bunch of troubleshooting with some specific site connectivity, it turned out my ISP had assigned me a IP that must have had a tarnished reputation. In all my years on the Internet mostly since after dial up and some early cable days I have had this ISP in one form or another. I have actually come to know some higher ups in the company over the years, it's a pretty big show.
Fine, it's dynamic so I will shut my ONT down for a bit and get handed a new IP. Not so easy. It took a bunch of tries over a couple of weeks to get my MAC address associated with a new IP. Very odd. I could have tried to spoof it but even if that worked, I wouldn't want to piss my ISP off if they picked that up.

Thanks guys, all great resources. I bookmarked all of them. Might want to move this to the rousource section.
Who knew your ISP could be handing out bad IP addy's. Like I said this is a huge ISP. I think they inherited these 72 block IP addy's from another ISP they absorbed. I always remember those 72 block addy's being handed them from a few now extinct ISP's as always being troublesome in some way. usually speed for some reason. That was a while back so who knows? Anyway I am fat and happy now, ready for those long winter nights. I will keep those Url's in my toolbox. I have a feeling that's not going to be the last time I am going to be fed with a bad addy.

So after a bunch of troubleshooting with some specific site connectivity, it turned out my ISP had assigned me a IP that must have had a tarnished reputation. In all my years on the Internet mostly since after dial up and some early cable days I have had this ISP in one form or another. I have actually come to know some higher ups in the company over the years, it's a pretty big show.
Fine, it's dynamic so I will shut my ONT down for a bit and get handed a new IP. Not so easy. It took a bunch of tries over a couple of weeks to get my MAC address associated with a new IP. Very odd. I could have tried to spoof it but even if that worked, I wouldn't want to piss my ISP off if they picked that up.
Use a vpn.

As far as a VPN is concerned, Mullvad has not shown me one warning or banned page. Surfshark VPN is tagged frequently as SPAMMER so after trying a handful of VPNs for me the winner is Mullvad

Back