• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

WiFi disconnects suddenly in new Samsung A31

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

maar3636

Sep 7, 2020
My Samsung A31 looks good, and no problem with any performance or any other thing. But my wifi keeps getting disconnected. The WiFi settigns is on and the router is good. All other devices are doing fine with it, but my less than a month old A31.
I thought it was the VPN settings that was causing trouble so I cleared all data relating to it. Didn't improve.
I cleared/reset all settings. Same.
I then cleared all data (factory data reset), and carefully customised the settings according to my need. Yet again, the wifi disconnects.
I found one thing, but I'm not sure if it is involved or just a coincidence-whenever I'm on a call, no wifi. I get the WiFi back when i open the settings or sometimes just when unlock my screen (when I'm in the call or when I finish off the call and unlock).
I didn't change any developer settings after the complete reset, though I tried changing some settings before that, which just ended up doing nothing.
Please help me with this issue because I want to shift to my phone for online classes through WebEx.

So let me ask one question:
Are you sure it's the A31 that's dropping the connection and not the phone? It's been my experience that once a system makes a WiFi connection it usually will be solid as long as the system isn't moved out of range. (with the exception of the Intel bug which has been patched).
I wish I could say it was phone model specific but it's usually the carrier. Have you been able to check your carriers forum? Depending, some carriers have all kind of whacked out rules particularly on their unlimited plans and hotspot usage. So if your system is solid on a wireless hard wired router, you already have your answer.
If you are relying on your system for schoolwork and don't have access to a conventional Internet connection you may want to consider adding a dedicated data only account with a USB stick or built-in if there's one available. More than likely your provider really doesn't want more than casual usage of your phone as a hotspot.

So let me ask one question:
Are you sure it's the A31 that's dropping the connection and not the phone? It's been my experience that once a system makes a WiFi connection it usually will be solid as long as the system isn't moved out of range. (with the exception of the Intel bug which has been patched).
I wish I could say it was phone model specific but it's usually the carrier. Have you been able to check your carriers forum? Depending, some carriers have all kind of whacked out rules particularly on their unlimited plans and hotspot usage. So if your system is solid on a wireless hard wired router, you already have your answer.
If you are relying on your system for schoolwork and don't have access to a conventional Internet connection you may want to consider adding a dedicated data only account with a USB stick or built-in if there's one available. More than likely your provider really doesn't want more than casual usage of your phone as a hotspot.
Hey! I kinda don't understand what you mean. But yeah I'm convinced the problem is with my A31 because all other members in my family (all of them use a Samsung M series phone) seem to not have any trouble at all. My PC connections are strong-1 Wired lan and 2 WiFis. And my TV is also connected through ethernet and is working fine.
It's just this A31 phone.
My internet service provider is one of the best and I use a good TP Link router. And my plan has enough data left.

You're confused? What exactly is dropping? Are you trying to connect to WiFi with your phone or your cell's 4G/5G or whatever data? If it's the former sometimes your phone keeps trying to connect to the strongest WiFi signal and it keeps dropping. I am in an environment where there are multiple strong WiFi signals and I had to adjust both my phone's settings.
Now if it's CELLULAR data I can tell you why I kicked my Google Fi plan to the curb. More or less the same deal among other things. Google has multiple agreements with different carriers. Their phones are programmed to seek out the strongest signal. So living in a large metro area I have a bunch of providers with strong signals. My Google phone was playing hopscotch between those carriers and dropping calls and data. If you are in a rural area I see the value I guess. Their data charges are outrageous but that's another story.
Back to your provider. You would be quite surprised the tricks carriers play. For the most part they go unregulated unlike land-line phones and as an extension VoIP lines and Internet connectivity. Those are considered utilities, cell phones are not. There are all kinds of data prioritization going on and frankly towers cost money. They would rather not have to assign an IP addy from a tower if you are going to sit there and suck away on the bandwidth. Heck that was an AOL trick back in the day. The good ol' "Goodbye" right in the middle of doing something. The carriers have devised all kinds of work arounds for streaming data for music, etc and you may in fact be time sharing a connection with at least one other user and they rely on your buffers to keep that transparent.
So far it seems the world is unaware of your model phone having any problems like you mention but it is a new phone. Have you tried asking your carrier? Other than what I have outlined I can't come up with another reason.

Dude. It is the WiFi connection that's dropping. I connected my phone to the router (for WiFi only) and I connected it to both 5 Ghz speed connection and 2.4 Ghz connection (of the same internet connection, same router). When my phone's connected to it, it suddenly drops-in both 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections. My WiFi is pretty strong and I mostly use it sitting 15 foot away from the router. My WiFi speed is pretty good (ranges from 150-200 Mbps) and it's from one of the best providers in my city (not rural, a large metro city ( a little short of 10 million in population), so I'm sure it's not rural).
And forget about mobile data, it is pretty solid and I don't have any issue with it.
My ISP is not able to help right now because they feel the problem is in my end. (As I already mentioned, this happens only in my Samsung A31)

So please go through, and help me out with this. Thank you :)

OK well my only experience is that if I am in a situation where there are multiple wireless access points sometimes phones will bounce around available connections.
No it has nothing to do with your ISP. Sounds like your router and the phone don't love each other. If your phone isn't doing this in other environments you can try two things. Make sure your router has the latest firmware updates. You can try to go to the router's manufacturers forum, they all have them. Somebody else has to be having your problem, an A31 is a popular phone.
The down and dirty fix might be just get a cheapo wireless access point and hardwire it to your router. Use that to connect to your phone if your router is the only one giving you the trouble.
But again I stress if it's only the router in your home giving you the problem that will solve your problem. If it's more than one site, then tell the people you got the phone from it's defective and replace it. Period. Don't listen to their BS. It's not doing what it should do, it's defective and needs to be replaced.

Hello,

on developer settings there is an option "Aggresive Wi-Fi to mobile handover", have you played with this setting? I suggest to be "off".

Also try to be closer to the router and see if the problem persists. Maybe the phone's dBM (Radio receiver power) is kinda broken. Also this reminded me of a very cool article, ppl should check it out: https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/

OK well my only experience is that if I am in a situation where there are multiple wireless access points sometimes phones will bounce around available connections.
No it has nothing to do with your ISP. Sounds like your router and the phone don't love each other. If your phone isn't doing this in other environments you can try two things. Make sure your router has the latest firmware updates. You can try to go to the router's manufacturers forum, they all have them. Somebody else has to be having your problem, an A31 is a popular phone.
The down and dirty fix might be just get a cheapo wireless access point and hardwire it to your router. Use that to connect to your phone if your router is the only one giving you the trouble.
But again I stress if it's only the router in your home giving you the problem that will solve your problem. If it's more than one site, then tell the people you got the phone from it's defective and replace it. Period. Don't listen to their BS. It's not doing what it should do, it's defective and needs to be replaced.

Okay, I'll do something with the router too. My initial guess was the phone's WiFi hardware is a problem, but never wanted to insist on that because of the trust I have in Samsung. So now I guess I will ask Samsung what they can do. That should do something. Will keep you updated. Thanks a lot :)

Hello,

on developer settings there is an option "Aggresive Wi-Fi to mobile handover", have you played with this setting? I suggest to be "off".

Also try to be closer to the router and see if the problem persists. Maybe the phone's dBM (Radio receiver power) is kinda broken. Also this reminded me of a very cool article, ppl should check it out: https://metis.fi/en/2017/10/txpower/
Yeah, I played with Developer settings, then I changed it back to default. But nothing helped. So I did a factory reset so that I get everything set back to the normal.

For the past 2 hours, I'm on a call and I left my WiFi on as far as I noticed it doesn't get disconnected. The only thing different from then is that now I have it on 'Maximum Power Saving Mode'. It limits CPU speed to 70% and reduces background data usage.

Well you know the old saying, go back to fundamentals? Well perhaps that where we should have started. I am really glad that the power settings helped you. I did start thinking about this last night after reading th3m's post.
When and if things start acting up again hopefully you will be able to open the WiFi connections on your phone.
Why I ask is your phone seeing another WiFi connection? Is it taking a look at that one? I remember a while back someone told me to keep battery life at max when you are on the road turn WiFi off so that's when I learned how curious your phone's WiFi radio can be.
Unfortunately the better the phone, the more aggressive they can be seeking out a WiFi connection. In the US now every phreaking ISP and some Cell carriers have set these up all over the place not to mention Mickey D's etc. and your phone can go wild trying to connect to all of them.. To make matters worse our town's incumbent cable carrier's WiFi sites appear open and rely on browser activation so your phone thinks it's cool.
So that's why I asked my question, it's basically what th3m is asking but taking a step backwards. You didn't mention brand/model of router as some of them do have some difficulties as you are having.
Just be glad it's not Bluetooth b/c this is a really common occurrence with those connections.

I am really glad that the power settings helped you.
It doesn't seem to, now. : /

Why I ask is your phone seeing another WiFi connection? Is it taking a look at that one?
I tried this thing-I removed my 2.4 GHz connection and connected to the 5G one. The problem continued. Then I let the 2.4 stay and removed the 5G connection. Goddamn 5GHz connection is the problem ig. So isn't there a high chance this is an issue in the WiFi of the phone? So, a manufacturing defect? Should I try getting help from Samsung?

Router is perfectly fine is my assumption here as it seems to be good. I connected my TV through WiFI to the router. It seems to work perfectly fine, because my mum hasn't called me to check out any connection problem with the TV.

So SAMSUNG, I'm comin after you.

PS: Sorry for the late reply. Having some tight schedule of tests here.

The is the nuclear option. Reset to factory specs. Samsung is going to request you do so if you haven't already. Don't back anything up but the contacts, a bug may be lurking there.
You might have a bummer A31, who knows. Typically it's a phone/router misque of sorts but this may be bad hardware.
I have had to do a factory reset more than once and it can work miracles. Things change that aren't always included with updates/patches.

Back