• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

WIN 10 Pro upgrade stops because 8.1 activation is bad

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

lisach

Apr 28, 2021
I'm using "the version 1909 UNTOUCHED" to upgrade my 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. The install says 8.1 isn't activated. Although I did use and activator and the ACTIVATE Watermark on the screen disappeared. But in PC Settings > Activate, it says it isn't activated. So when I use the ISO to upgrade it wants me to enter in the WINDOWS 10 Product ID which i don'thave since it preactivated. I was able to upgrade over a previous version of WIn10. Ive tried every Product ID i have for Windows 8.1 to avoid the HALT with no Luck. I've also tried all the Windows 10 ID's I have with no luck.

Any Suggestions?

A fresh install is always a better choice. That leaves behind all the sins you committed with your last install. A patched system upon another patched system esp. Win 8.1 -> 10. That's a big change. Win 10 -> 11 is a much smoother ride. You can always reinstall whatever you had installed You also should consider that those pirated programs may not even make the long journey from 8.1 -> 10

I've long admired your work, your efforts, and your results. I've never spoken up about it but, I've benefited from it for some years now
Your suggestion worked like a charm as always. I knew you'd be able to help!

And to DVDR_DOG...... I totally understand what you advocate for. The car does need vacuumed out at some point!!!
I've had umpteen computers and laptops. Been building and re-building OS environments since Windows 3.0. (well actually since DOS if I'm truthful) This particular environment has files over 20 years old.

And thanks to Thumper....... its moving on down the line at a pretty good clip!!! (Even if it is on a walker) LOL
THANK-YOU THUMPER!!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back