• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows sound issues after first upgrade

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

paxx

Donator
Apr 28, 2022
This is an issue I have noticed with every new windows computers I have owned.

When you get the computer fresh, newly purchased, the sound is excellent. As soon as windows force an automatic update (usually about a week later after you've gone through the fresh install of on a new computer system) the sound is immediately compromized and the output on speakers go down by around 75-80%. I can't hear well unless I install additional apps to increase the sound. The sound only remains good with the use of headphones.

I've tried hundreds of times to get support for this to get it resolved and have never got any information that actually works. I did find an older thread on some forum that mentions this problem and says it's a 'build' problem related to one of Windows NET updates (I think it was the NET driver).

Any idea how to resolve this issue without having to use third-party apps to improve the sound?

Roll back the driver or to the manufacturer's site and download the vetted OEM driver. The sound problem usually emerges when Windows Update installs a generic driver (i.e. Intel) released by the sound chip's maker. Those generic drivers do not take into account the various sound enhancements that the OEM system builder's engineers may have decided to include. Of course you won't encounter this problem is you install a copy of generic Windows directly from Microsoft and allow WDM drivers from Microsoft first and only then you install any missing drivers from the OEM or the OEM chip makers sites.

Thank you for the recommend. :)

I tried all of that and any other recommendation I've found online. Nothing works once that first Windows security update is done. My computer has BOSE speakers and they turned worse than the $5 headphones you find in the dollar store once the windows update ran....

Last edited:
No shit! I can't even imagine what happened. Can you supply some specs for your system. Either make/model and sound card if it was optional for an OEM or the board, soundcard and anything else installed on the PCI bus. Also have you anything on the USB ports and CPU and RAM. If it's a home brew board model.
Sound like video on a computer is a very odd thing. It has IRQ priorities and buffers. I haven't heard of such a thing but I would like to try and sort it out with you, I'll probably learn something.

Yes, this is really an issue with new computers. After the update, the sound quality is lowered automatically. But, I can't solve this issue with the above solutions. Can someone suggest any simple solution?

It would really help if I had a clue what kind of sound device we are talking about. There are a few ways sound can be processed in Windows, some very different. Without knowing that, no one is going to be able to help you, sorry.

As I said it happens on every single computer that runs in Windows that I've had (4 of them now) so I don't think it matters what exact sound device it is.

The audio getting bad after windows security update is a common problem in windows. Here's someone else asking for a solution:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-update/da64a4d4-077a-41b3-ad2a-2cfd4f36a136

I've tried all of the recommendations without being able to resolve the sound issue.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-sound-problems-in-windows-10/

https://windowsreport.com/poor-sound-quality-after-windows-10-update/

Well I deal with a lot of users first I’ve heard of it but I am not a windows gamer. I’ll keep digging, you have me curious now.

Well Pax I come to you with my hat in my hand. I finally experienced the sound problem on my Lenovo laptop. I have a funny feeling it has to do with a .net update. Anyway to solve it I uninstalled everything related to sound ( I had a couple of Bluetooth items, some sound enhancements, etc.), disabled sound in the device manager and restarted. Downloaded a fresh copy of the sound drivers, enabled my sound device (Realtek and HD speakers).
It's gotta be some interaction with .net and some speaker driver/program interfaces. My system is fine now. It might be worth a try for you

Well Pax I come to you with my hat in my hand. I finally experienced the sound problem on my Lenovo laptop. I have a funny feeling it has to do with a .net update. Anyway to solve it I uninstalled everything related to sound ( I had a couple of Bluetooth items, some sound enhancements, etc.), disabled sound in the device manager and restarted. Downloaded a fresh copy of the sound drivers, enabled my sound device (Realtek and HD speakers).
It's gotta be some interaction with .net and some speaker driver/program interfaces. My system is fine now. It might be worth a try for you

Thank you!!!

Simple in Device Manager UNINSTALL the sound drivers then refresh for it to install the driver you just removed. Also I believe you can fix this by going to System Sound Properties.

In here we see Enhanced Audio click it ON to the right and then click the Advanced option and in this popup windows we click the Enhancements Tab then put a check in the Low Frequency box and put a check in the Loudness Equalizer Apply and done

Now your sound will be much louder and likely what your trying to do.

See Below Image

Opera Snapshot_2022-05-25_121031_scontent-fml2-1.xx.fbcdn.net.png

Enjoy the enhanced sound you desire :)

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2022-05-25_115746_www.affasocial.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2022-05-25_115746_www.affasocial.com.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back