• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Update Error 0x80080005

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

skrublove

Dec 1, 2020
So I've been trying to get windows update to work on my mothers computer for sometime now. Today I decided to put a little more effort. I started out searching forums for similar issues. I went through a few troubleshooting steps to no avail. I first tried running in safe mode thinking this would be a quick and easy. No luck there. I checked for any antivirus programs that may be holding it up. Found an old subscription to Norton. I removed and deleted it. Tried again. No luck. I then ran SFC and DISM scans. Neither fixed the issues. No luck from the Windows Update trouble shooter. No luck from resetting windows update components. The more I read about this issue the more I learn how much of a pain it is. I really want to avoid any kind of re-install or reformatting. I will upload screenshot of the error or any other information needed. Please if anyone can guide toward more troubleshooting steps or information it would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• window update error.png
    window update error.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • system info.png
    system info.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 7
  • cmd troubleshooting.png
    cmd troubleshooting.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
Could you post the current Windows specifications as well?
It may help figure this debacle out.

OK So I did a little investigation during my morning coffee.
You are currently running Windows 10 Version 1903 aka 19H1 aka May 2019 Update. Microsoft support for this version ended Dec. 8, 2020. Pretty cool, eh?
So here's a highly compressed version of what's going on, Windows Update has flagged some file(s) as corrupt. Forget what sfc reports or you can observe, it doesn't matter. All that matters is Update has it's corrupt flag enabled and will not proceed.
So........
If you have to hang onto your current installation in order to eliminate all the possibilities you are going to have to follow the steps outlined here: https://pcnmobile.com/fix-windows-update-error-0x80080005/
That is the preferred method.
If you want to try the quick and dirty method go to the Windows update page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Just try the Windows 10 October 2020 Update and select the "Update Now" tab. It's worked for some. It's also may be just sticking a band-aid on a problem that may or may not reappear. Me? I would do a fresh install and I am always prepared to do so, perhaps because I was a Boy Scout and that's our motto?
For the answer to why this happened in the first place I suggest you try and get in touch with the self styled Microsoft version of Steve Jobs, Satya Nadella or even better Bill Gates if you can find him because no one seems to know the exact nature of the cause. If it's any consolation you aren't the first and won't be the last who gets bitten by the 0x80080005 bug.

Back