What's new

Windows Update Kills My Laptops

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 50.000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.88
I have a bunch of HP Elitebook 840 G1 laptops (touchscreen ugh!) that we have been preparing for sale. Every last one of them during updates came up with A hardware changes message you need to restart and freezes. Of course you have to do a hard reset and that's all she wrote. I have tried loading all the HP drivers first to no avail. There probably is a solution but I am running out of time today. F'ing Windows! That cheap b*tch M/S CEO won't spend some money and get real professionals to write and properly test updates like they used to do.
Rant off. There's always tomorrow.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.79
My bad.

Last edited:

ThumperTM

La Patróna
Owner
Aug 18, 2010
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.88
I had problem with some Microsoft surface with touchscreen, now i have problem with Lenovo ALLinOne too, i had to disable touchscreen for all those devices to get 'em working.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.79
I had problem with some Microsoft surface with touchscreen, now i have problem with Lenovo ALLinOne too, i had to disable touchscreen for all those devices to get 'em working.
You're probably right. I hate touchscreen laptops and AlliIOne's. OK for phones, tablets and convertibles period. The laptop and AllInOne screens get all nasty from fingerprints, many of them end up on the floor with cracked screens falling over after their screen has been poked too hard. I need to figure this out. I can't resell a bunch of systems with the touchscreens disabled. Funny I have a huge lot of Dell Latitude E7450's w/touchscreens and no problems. Take note the problem children are HP's and I will leave it at that.
I'll post the fix once I figure it out.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.88
Block Windows updates or downgrade the windows version.
I would if they were for my personal use, these are for resale. I may just wipe the drives and wholesale the buggers and make them someone else's headache. Too busy to mess with temperamental touchscreens today.

So to make a good night out of a lousy (but profitable) day I brought home a couple of new toys.
#1 Lenovo ThinkPad T480s I needed a new portable. This system kicks some serious backside. 2 batteries. Sick battery life. Barely used.

#2 Dell Optiplex 740 micro. This model was maxxed out. I5-6500T, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1TB 6.0Gs/s mag HD, Intel Wifi/Bluetooth. The odd bit is this system was never used. It's a cute little system. Replacing the HP ProDesk 600 G1 micro I have running Kodi, etc The HP is going to the ex.

Poor poor pitiful me. Something to mess with over the holidays. It's colder than a grave digger's backside here tonight. Too cold to go on a hike I was scheduled to go on.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.88
Well folks yes indeedy. Windows update was throwing drivers at these HP's that was killing them. Reloaded with HP only drivers and block Windows from updating the drivers and they are fine now at least it appears they are. I will test a bit more on Monday. I should follow my own recommendations and stick to OEM tested drivers and forget Windows update. Yet another reason to stay away from those driver update programs as well.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 79.0.3945.88
Yup that was it. All 10 of these are humming right along. Now what to do with all the tech stuff piled up at home. My living room is wall to wall tech stuff. I have the rest of the week off starting Tuesday Afternoon. Probably a good project. It's some really cool stuff too but enough is quite enough. I need to quit rewarding myself for hard days at work. Looks like a new lady in my life so the tech needs to share me. I have some great hiking stories from this weekend too. I refuse to turn into a techno-blob.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 80.0.3987.149
OK Well this is in fact the strangest post ever. Is there a dying need for an antifungal let alone a prescription one? If anyone is considering taking this stuff w/o medical supervision know this. Fungus is a bitch to kill. Oral meds to address fungal infection are extremely toxic. Your liver and kidneys are at risk too.
Use a topical med, keep your body clean and dry and wear clean clothes esp undies and socks. You do that and you deny a food and a viable place for fungus to breed. Just saying. Don't mess with the crap. This guy is trying to get an affiliate payout by peddling this garbage and could care less about your well being.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 80.0.3987.149
Please ignore all of tolikkk's posts and do not follow any links provided.