• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Wrong DNS Server are set

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jun 17, 2022
Hi folks,

I've set a pihole as a DNS server in my network.
On my Notebook, I've seen that my pihole is not set as a DNS server, even I can see in Wireshark that the DHCP Set is correct after an "ipconfig /renew":

Option: (6) Domain Name Server
Length: 4
Domain Name Server: 192.168.1.24

The "ipconfig /all" shows me still:
DNS-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1

As an routerI have a Unifi USG3. All different client as the correct DNS Server set by default.

Does anyone has an idea whats wrong here?

Will the Unifi edge router allow a DNS filter to sit in front of it's public facing IP? I think the Pi-Hole was designed with a simple router that is more of a means to negotiate multiple LAN traffic through a WAN to the ISP demarc. The Unifi is a far more sophisticated appliance which includes the already mentioned duties as well as multi-layer security measures.
In short, it's way overkill given Unifi's functions, and trying to filter DNS calls in front of the WAN side of the Unifi might be unavailable.

EDIT: I should have added that I configure hardware for some pretty sophisticated applications: VoiP, DaaS, Cloud based apps, etc. There are many instances that you really can't have what amounts to double NATing and security hardware makes that much worse. Sitting a Pi-Hole in front of a router's WAN port is functionally double NATing which is a no-no in some applications, in this case the Unifi. How it bypasses the Pi-Hole DNS is a mystery to me, but it's not impossible. The average router normally has little or at best nominal firewalls and filters unless invoked. I don't believe the Unifi gives you that option of disabling those. So if you are stuck on the Unifi your best bet might be using a DNS that has built-in ad filtering capabilities. My VPN provider offers such a service and there are many more. The fact you might have to pay a little for the use of that DNS is offset by the fact that unlike the Pi-Hole, there if financial incentive to keep the DNS current rather than rely on volunteers.

Last edited:
The pihole sits between the client and the Unifi USG and not between the USG and the ISP.
After a full reboot of everything it works now.

That's what I forgot to mention, flushing the DNS. Speeds things up caching DNS info but does cause problems like you had w/o a cold boot of all hardware.
For those of you who don't know.
Command prompt:
>ipconfig /flushdns {Enter}

You are done.

Quick question: If the Pi-Hole sits behind the router, isn't it acting as a filter directing what gets through to the LAN and the router still does the DNS navigation not unlike a browser extension filter such as uBlock?

Back