• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Avast Free

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
What a pile of garbage. I was doing a pro-bono clean-up on a senior citizen's laptop the other day. Typical wandering around the Internet to see what they could install for free and then install "free" programs to fix the mess they made
So anyway my usual advice to the very noble person who provides these systems is with Win 10 is Defender is as good or better than any free A/V program available, most forums agree.
So anyway this system shows up all gummed up with all this free stuff and they had installed Avast Free as well. Not only was Avast sucking up a bunch of resource, as I was uninstalling the nasties it was then and only then when the installer began removing the file did Avast alert the file was a problem. Add that to Avast's reputation for in your face false positives, forgitaboudit!

yes, i used to use comodo, which is nice, but like, so what
haven't reinstalled yet on this new comp, going well
A old roommate of mine believed that it was the anti-virus companies that are responsible for the viruses. They work with the virus makers to make new viruses to keep their products in demand.
You notice how cheesy they all are. Real clunkers. But you HAVE to have them.
Defender probably isn't the best, but it isn't the worst.
A regular scan with a rescue CD is a good idea, or whatever, something else. There is an 'open source' av program i forget the name of. You could do a scan with that every month or so.
ClamWin Free Antivirus
www.clamwin.com
i believe pApps has a version.
I had a problem using a cd scanner, where you reboot into the cd standalone and scan outside of windows environment. It didn't like my windows stripe raid array. Haven't tried lately though.
thing about clamwin is it is fully non-automatic. You must scan everything you download before opening.

The BEST is MalwareBytes Pro. But for free... either BitDefender Free or Avira Free... I've found both of these free options to be very good, low resource, not "in your face."

I'd probably buy Kaspersky, if I was buying. There may be some 'american' corporations that aren't globalist bs, but IDK who they are.

Please ignore all of tolikkk's posts and do not follow any links provided.

Back