• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

external wd hard drive

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldmanau

Jul 4, 2019
hello again i have a wd external 1tb hardf drive.when i try to down load any programs onto the drive it comes up with a notice saying i only have 31 gig space to download.i have checked to see how much is spare with with wd program and it shows 969 gig.i have downloaded all the drivers for it and other sundry programs.any suggestions would be welcome.bill

Hello Bill.
For some reason it occurs to me that there may be some way your drives are being partitioned.
It's either that or you are misinterpreting what's being reported.
Why don't you give this a try and see visually what Windows says is going on.
It's a good way to get familiar with how Windows handles your drives.
See if you can get a screen shot and post it here.
Here's a guide:

how are you DVDR_Dog,thanks for quick reply.i worked out that the drive had some partitions on it.so what i did was go into disc management to check the drive and i did a format on the drive and gave it a new full partition and a new letter.now i have full use of the drive and there are no more problems.thank you for your help.bill

how are you DVDR_Dog,thanks for quick reply.i worked out that the drive had some partitions on it.so what i did was go into disc management to check the drive and i did a format on the drive and gave it a new full partition and a new letter.now i have full use of the drive and there are no more problems.thank you for your help.bill
The coolest part of this is you believe it or not you just learned a whole lot about how Windows deals with drives and how to handle it. Good for you! You may not be a novice too much longer.

Back