• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Programmes Won't Open

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

SarahL

Jul 21, 2023
Hello Everyone,

I am at my wits wnd and I need some help, please.

I recently reset my Windows 11 laptop because things were not workong properly.

Before I reset it, there was an update, I think it was called a cumulative update, so I installed it and when it had installed, afterwards none of my installed software would open or if it did, it took about 20 minuted for it to open and then it was unusable. It affected Photoshop especially and this is something I use a lot.

The above prompted the reset. I thought it would help to solve things. I went through all the processes to set up my laptop again, I re-installed Photoshop and thought it would work as normal but I am having the same issue as before the reset.

I am now trying to uninstall one of the updates on my laptop and the uninstall has been stuck swirling around at 30% for at least 10 minutes now.

Can anybody advise me as to what might be wrong and how this problem might be solved, please? I need to be able to use my laptop properly and especially my Photoshop.

Thank you all, in advance, for all the help you give me. I appreciate it very much.

Well, if you used the Reset this PC option and selected the option to delete all files and applications, the OS should work properly. If something is not right, try a classic system reinstallation.

Well, if you used the Reset this PC option and selected the option to delete all files and applications, the OS should work properly. If something is not right, try a classic system reinstallation.
The only other question I would have is does your system natively support Windows 11? A quick checklist would be are all your drivers vetted for Windows 11? I take it your copy of Photoshop might not be a retail copy. Some of the later Windows 11 cumlative updates can present problems with some audio/video drivers that aren't written to include Windows 11. So unfortunately something doesn't like the current Windows configuration.
If any of the conditions exist, all I can tell you is start with a fresh barebones install as Talaba has already suggested. Personally I don't allow Windows to install ANY drivers or driver updates, they have caused me problems in the past. Get the OEM drivers if available and install them before you allow the system on-line to prevent Microsoft from installing the drivers and/or updates it thinks are correct for your system, they aren't always the best solution. Once you have a good solid cody of Windows 11 running and updated, if all is well, use your favorite flavor of back-up software and create a baseline copy you can always reload if things go bad again.
Then just start loading the programs you normally use, save the cracked stuff until the end. So if everything works out, Bravo! If not my money is on a cracked program causing the difficulties if you are still having problems. You know the drill. Start with that fresh bare-bones back-up you made (saves some major time and trouble) and find a newer version of the offending program. If you encounter the problems during your set-up of the clean install, you have driver problems. That is going to take a little detective work on your behalf but you should be aware of the hardware/driver giving you problems. If that's the case, Google is your best friend. You can't be the only one having troubles with that hardware. Keep looking and I am sure you will find the solution if hardware is causing the problem.
I know this is a little long. It's more just a process for defining exactly what the trouble is for any software/hardware problem is and finding a solution.
Good luck. It may take a bit of time, but you should be able to figure it out. As a bonus, you should be able to learn a bit more about your system.

When I see this issue in a new Windows 10 or 11 install we usually run the application in compatibility mode for Vista (Service Pack 1) or Best Option-Vista (Service Pack 2) If (Service Pack 2) is not available then Vista Service Pack 1 should work just fine and the program should run as desired. Enjoy

Last edited:
Laptops can be tricky for the OS at times. You should check the manufacturer's site to see if Win 11 is a supported system and Photoshop can be demanding and awkward for a laptop. Better to go back to Win 10 for stability. Maybe I'm talking off the top of my head, I don't own a laptop, I only have a large desktop PC, so I'm not really competent with those tiny computers.

Running the following commands can often fix these types of problems.
1) Open an elevated cmd. Then run the following commands.
2) SFC /scannow Let it run it will take a bit.
3) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
4) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
5) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Depending on your system it will take a bit of time to run those commands. They will check your installation image and repair it. The DISM commands fix a lot of issues related to windows store apps and windows update.
Hope that helps.

I use those commands a lot but I doubt they will help him because his problem is not that simple. It is necessary to diagnose the problem in detail, but this is not possible at a distance like this. One would need to physically own the laptop to determine the problem. I would first know which OS is compatible with the laptop and if there are all the drivers for it. If Reset does not help, then formatting the partition and installing the OS but the ISO must be from a verified source, no buggery. Likewise, Photoshop must be from a verified source. If the hardware is healthy Photoshop MUST work.....
2023-07-25 13_38_07-Greenshot image editor.png

Hi SarahL,
When you do a reset, all installed programs or applications by the user are deleted.
You have the option to save folders and files.

I suggest next time, before you do a Windows update, create a system restore point.
Or do a System image save, which takes times, and you need an external hard drive connected to your PC with a USB cable.

Hello Everyone,

I am at my wits wnd and I need some help, please.

I recently reset my Windows 11 laptop because things were not workong properly.

Before I reset it, there was an update, I think it was called a cumulative update, so I installed it and when it had installed, afterwards none of my installed software would open or if it did, it took about 20 minuted for it to open and then it was unusable. It affected Photoshop especially and this is something I use a lot.

The above prompted the reset. I thought it would help to solve things. I went through all the processes to set up my laptop again, I re-installed Photoshop and thought it would work as normal but I am having the same issue as before the reset.

I am now trying to uninstall one of the updates on my laptop and the uninstall has been stuck swirling around at 30% for at least 10 minutes now.

Can anybody advise me as to what might be wrong and how this problem might be solved, please? I need to be able to use my laptop properly and especially my Photoshop.

Thank you all, in advance, for all the help you give me. I appreciate it very much.

Latest posts

Back