• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Won't boot with "bad config" message

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

morsing

Jan 15, 2024
Good morning,

My Lenovo T410 laptop will no longer boot. I have tried all sorts of fix config and recovery modes, nothing works. I think it happened after I booted a Windows To Go stick. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

Have you booted to the CMOS/Bios and made sure your install drive is the 1st in the boot order otherwise you will recieve boot error until it is fixed.

Hello,

Here is the first screenshot of the boot error:

MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

Niddle? I don't appear to have restore points and I have now even tried re-installing but after a while it fails saying it cannot reset the system. It won't start safe mode either, the only thing I managed was to start up a command prompt.

I can try having a look at BIOS. Could it be a BCD problem?

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

Dumbest question of all have you looked inside to see if the C2032 cell is leaking. In my past I have had that issue generally involving a battery and holder swap.

BSOD shows the OS has commenced a boot up and this could be the problem. Try and F8 key hold on power up and try the repair system

Looks like a bad hard drive. Thinkpads have some weird (not bad) errors returned to the system. You may have scrambled the hard drive, that's where I'd put my money. Have you run on board diagnostics? Thinkpads are equiped with some good ones. I doubt you killed the system. Thinkpads are tough as nails. My favorite laptop for a daily driver.

After some thought and a lot of experience with Thinkpads (I think I owned a T410 at one time) I would do this:
Based on what you told us I would first go into the BIOS (hit reurn during POST). This is important b/c you may need to do more. Anyway when you enter BIOS settings, choose the last tab and select reset (or restore) factory settings. Restart and see what happens. If that doesn't work, hit return on POST again and this time choose dignostics and run the extended version. If that doesn't tell you what's the matter, come on back.
Again my money is on the HD although Lenovo has a hard drive protection program if it was loaded with the drivers when O/S was loaded. Another good reason to load the OEM factory drivers initially and not the MS supplied drivers. I never rely on the MS drivers for a fresh install.

i had the same problem with my desktop. i went on youtube and they gave instructions on what to download and put on a usb stick. which you boot from and that allows you to get in and get to restore points and take it back to before this happened. my desktop is now working perfectly. this problem is caused by a windows update ending in 441. hope this helps.

i had the same problem with my desktop. i went on youtube and they gave instructions on what to download and put on a usb stick. which you boot from and that allows you to get in and get to restore points and take it back to before this happened. my desktop is now working perfectly. this problem is caused by a windows update ending in 441. hope this helps.

That's interesting. I already have the Boot & Go, so can try that.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

After some thought and a lot of experience with Thinkpads (I think I owned a T410 at one time) I would do this:
Based on what you told us I would first go into the BIOS (hit reurn during POST). This is important b/c you may need to do more. Anyway when you enter BIOS settings, choose the last tab and select reset (or restore) factory settings. Restart and see what happens. If that doesn't work, hit return on POST again and this time choose dignostics and run the extended version. If that doesn't tell you what's the matter, come on back.
Again my money is on the HD although Lenovo has a hard drive protection program if it was loaded with the drivers when O/S was loaded. Another good reason to load the OEM factory drivers initially and not the MS supplied drivers. I never rely on the MS drivers for a fresh install.

Ok, will do extended testing. Thanks.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

Back