• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Slow after waking up from sleep

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Louiss97

May 22, 2020
I have a Surface Book with Win 10 Pro, Ver. 10.0.19042, build 19042, core I7 with 16 GB of internal memory and SATA hard drive on which I have manually updated every driver. After the 19042 update the machine works fine; apps such as Outlook and Chrome start very fast (much faster than on my desktop). However, once I close the lid (or let it sit) and it goes into sleep mode and I reopen the computer, all apps including outlook and chrome take forever to open. Chrome to about 13 min and Outlook about 16 min just to show the startup screen and after 28 min Outlook had actually opened up but Chrome had not. tono para celular

After about a month of this I did a Windows Reset (keeping my old files), but the problem is the same. Actually the same thing happened on my Dell Desktop with an almost identical configuration so I switched back to the 18363 build and that fixed the problem.

Still, I'd like to be running the most up-to-date Win version (on both machines) but it looks like I need to go back to the 18363 build on my Surface Book as well. Are others having this problem? I there some kind of fix? What's going on?
tonos para iphone 12

Last edited:
OK Let me ask you one question Louis. Exactly how large is your .pst file? I have encountered this before. If you have a ton of extensions or even a couple of security or adblock extensions those files can be pretty large too as well. Chrome extensions by their very nature can take a while to load in some instances.
In both cases depending on your A/V it may want to take a look at both files before they load.

There is an Outlook exploit in the wild right now that in some cases takes over Outlook but in all cases it steals your address book. FYI it is currently being delivered as an email with a payload typically from another user whose Outlook address book was previously stolen. A/V programs are being exceptionally vigilant of Outlook as a result. A good A/V program by it's very nature will halt all Windows processes until it gives the green light.

Finally 16GB of RAM is a ton to spool to a HD and back again. Personally I flat out don't use sleep mode, it's of limited value. Turn off the display when you aren't using the system, displays suck up all the power.

Funny you should bring this up. I got a call from a friend of mine that his MacBook circa 2015 is pulling stunts awaking from power naps so it's just not Windows. In his case it's a newer operating system glitch although Apple insists it's a hardware problem. The HD was replaced and the O/S was upgraded to Catalina. The HD was the exact same OEM manufacturer and model as the original. So of course the HD manufacturer says their product is fine and it is. That's the game the O/S publishers play with you when they don't have a solution. Pretend they don't have a problem and put you in an endless support loop between manufacturers. The Internet validates this is in fact an OS/X problem with no definitive solution. Gotta love it. I am willing to bet that's pretty much what you are hearing from M/S too.

Start with your Outlook .pst file. If it's really large I would consider archiving emails or doing a little house cleaning. You will be darn mad if you lose that file, trust me.

Back