• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Trying to install windows 10 on chromebook ASUS c223

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Corsair

Jan 3, 2019
Hello Dear users,
Im needing some help with installing win 10 on a Chromebook (ASUS c223)

issue: WPSW = 1 (cant access it by messing with software as its read only)
This means i need to find a wp screw.
After taking the laptop apart a several times, i wasn't able to identify the correct screw.

If anyone has taken this laptop apart and succeeded with removing write protection. Please give me a hint on were to look.
(previous model had it under the keyboard, while with c223 there is no access to the top of the motherboard by simply removing the keyboard)

Thank you

Hello Dear users,
Im needing some help with installing win 10 on a Chromebook (ASUS c223)

issue: WPSW = 1 (cant access it by messing with software as its read only)
This means i need to find a wp screw.
After taking the laptop apart a several times, i wasn't able to identify the correct screw.

If anyone has taken this laptop apart and succeeded with removing write protection. Please give me a hint on were to look.
(previous model had it under the keyboard, while with c223 there is no access to the top of the motherboard by simply removing the keyboard)

Thank you

I'm dealing with the same issue, did you ever figure this out? I contacted Asus support who said this model doesn't have a write protect screw, still waiting to hear back from them on how to disable write protect.
I've heard some models you disable write protect by booting without the battery connected, but I can't get the connector off the motherboard to try that.

Edit: I successfully disabled the write protect, it does work by booting with the battery removed. The battery connector comes off by pushing the little metal bracket forward then pulling the white plastic piece back, it doesn't take much force when you do it correctly.

Last edited:
I'm dealing with the same issue, did you ever figure this out? I contacted Asus support who said this model doesn't have a write protect screw, still waiting to hear back from them on how to disable write protect.
I've heard some models you disable write protect by booting without the battery connected, but I can't get the connector off the motherboard to try that.

Edit: I successfully disabled the write protect, it does work by booting with the battery removed. The battery connector comes off by pushing the little metal bracket forward then pulling the white plastic piece back, it doesn't take much force when you do it correctly.
No I haven't figured it out. Kinda gave up. Getting the battery out is very easy, although it voids the warranty. To do so take all the screws out on the bottom of the chromebook, including the one in the middle that is covered by the seal.
Good luck.

Oh man you guys are doing just what I love to do. It's fun as all get out getting a device to do something it wasn't intended to do. I bang my head a lot trying but when I succeed well you guys know. I rarely get enough time lately to play, I miss it.
Anyhoo I did a little sniffing around. I didn't find any good news:

"Kabylake/Apollolake Devices
Kabylake and Apollolake devices do not have custom UEFI firmware available, and do not have any custom drivers available. They are all unsupported."

Unfortunately your Chromebooks have Apollo Lake chipsets according to the system spec sheets:

But hey you tried. You now know probably much more than you did than when you started.
Have fun! Hope you have better luck with your next endeavor.

Back