• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Windows 10 installation doesn't like my AMD Raid drivers...

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Cr4z33

Mar 15, 2023
So I've got a dual partitions computer running WIndows 11 on one NVMe drive and Windows 10 on two other NVMe drives in a RAID0 array.

Lately a Windows 10 update went wrong and I decided to format the array and install the OS from scratch.

However when I run the installation and it's time to load the AMD Raid drivers and it goes back to the drives list Windows setup still doesn't see that RAID0 array.

I've checked the array from my Windows 11 session and it looks fine.

I've tried several AMD Raid drivers and also the ones provided by several brands of motherboard (without success).

My motherboard is an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming running firmware v4602.

Well to start with I am no fan of AMD products for a variety of reasons. There is a reason why there is the term Wintel. So I did find this very complicated video that is supposedly the solution. It kind of contradicts what the mainstream is saying which makes me think that if this guy took all that time to make the video which is more of less specific to your mobo.
I wish you good luck. All I can tell you is I trust this guy.

Well to start with I am no fan of AMD products for a variety of reasons. There is a reason why there is the term Wintel. So I did find this very complicated video that is supposedly the solution. It kind of contradicts what the mainstream is saying which makes me think that if this guy took all that time to make the video which is more of less specific to your mobo.
I wish you good luck. All I can tell you is I trust this guy.
Thank you, but as I said RAID (0) configuration in BIOS was already set and fine (it works in my Windows 11).

Drivers suggested by this video are the same I am trying to load into my Windows 10 installation.

No errors are given just the setup doesn't still see the array after loading them.

I will take a pic of the listed drives in the setup and upload it here just in case you people will notice anything.

Just thinking about the variables you have in that set up. I keep thinking it has to be the specific mix of SSD storage type,
controller manufacturer or the mix of these. You won't really encounter those with a spinner drive, they all appear to be generic to the BIOS. All my RAID set ups are with spinners specifically designed for RAID storage (WD Red Plus).
If that's the case, that's a nasty problem only solved by trial and error. The fact that it works with 11 and not 10 only points Microsoft must have seen some problem and solved it keeping in mind 11 does handle drivers slightly differently than 10. That's all the help I can offer but given the randomness of your problem and sporadic reports would lead me to believe it is that drive mix that may be the root of your problem.

Just thinking about the variables you have in that set up. I keep thinking it has to be the specific mix of SSD storage type,
controller manufacturer or the mix of these. You won't really encounter those with a spinner drive, they all appear to be generic to the BIOS. All my RAID set ups are with spinners specifically designed for RAID storage (WD Red Plus).
If that's the case, that's a nasty problem only solved by trial and error. The fact that it works with 11 and not 10 only points Microsoft must have seen some problem and solved it keeping in mind 11 does handle drivers slightly differently than 10. That's all the help I can offer but given the randomness of your problem and sporadic reports would lead me to believe it is that drive mix that may be the root of your problem.
Thanks mate I've appreciated your feedback and I agree with you that it might be yet another mess done by MS (proof is I had the dual boot running before and installation was perfectly possible).

Somehow I managed now to do an installation on one of the drives with no RAID0 setup.

I then loaded Windows 11 and from the disk management tool I extended the drive to a spanning array.

Now I only need to sort out the Windows 10 boot crashing (BCD looks fine and the RAID0 array can be browsed in Win 11 File Explorer).

Good luck. The only good thing is while it's driving you nuts sorting it out, you are learning all kinds of odd quirks in Windows. The thing that really drive me crazy that a problem like this all of a sudden disappears and you don't really know what you did to fix the problem.

Good luck. The only good thing is while it's driving you nuts sorting it out, you are learning all kinds of odd quirks in Windows. The thing that really drive me crazy that a problem like this all of a sudden disappears and you don't really know what you did to fix the problem.
Lol indeed!

I am 100% sure that if this will ever happen again I will have to Google and post like I did now.

Btw now I am dealing with bcdedit and how to create dual boot entries (no need to say that EasyBCD and other How-To's didn't work...).

Try taking these steps.

1. Verify RAID configuration: Ensure that the RAID0 array is properly configured in the motherboard's BIOS settings. Make sure the RAID mode is enabled and the drives are recognized correctly.
  2. Verify BIOS version: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for the ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming motherboard. It's possible that updating the firmware could resolve any compatibility issues with the RAID controller.
  3. Confirm driver compatibility: Ensure that the AMD RAID drivers being used are compatible with both the motherboard and the version of Windows 10 being installed. Visit the ASUS support website and the AMD website to find the latest and correct RAID drivers for the specific motherboard model and Windows version.
  4. Create a RAID driver disk: Sometimes, Windows installation may not automatically detect RAID drivers. Create a RAID driver disk or USB drive with the correct RAID drivers and use it during the Windows 10 installation process. Refer to the motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's website for instructions on creating a RAID driver disk.
  5. Try different installation media: If the Windows 10 installation media being used is corrupted or incomplete, it may fail to detect the RAID array. Obtain a different copy of the Windows 10 installation media, create a bootable USB or DVD, and attempt the installation again.
  6. Check for conflicting settings: Ensure that there are no conflicting settings or options enabled in the BIOS that could prevent the RAID array from being detected during installation. Look for options related to SATA mode, AHCI/RAID settings, or RAID initialization.
  7. Test individual drives: As a troubleshooting step, try disconnecting the NVMe drives that are part of the RAID0 array and connect them individually to see if they are recognized by the Windows 10 installation. This can help determine if there is an issue with any specific drive.

Thanks mate for spending some time trying to help me, but the real problem seems to be Windows (both 10 and 11) installation doesn't like dynamic volumes and that is what becomes after creating a software Raid (no matter if 0, 1 or 5) array.

I've tried so many ways (recreate array in BIOS, diskpart, Acronis Disk Director boot CD, etc.), but they all create RAID arrays with dynamic volumes.

I even DISM installed Windows just to force installation in a dynamic volume, but then there's no way to bcdedit add the volume to the f boot manager... :O

Honestly I am quite p off atm lol!

IDK if it will work with a RAID array but have you tried using EasyBCD to handle your dual boot?

IDK if it will work with a RAID array but have you tried using EasyBCD to handle your dual boot?
I actually stopped using it as it looked outdated while getting lots of error prompts.

I rather prefer going the old school command line way by using MS bcdedit. :)

Back