• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows XP Professional SP3 2013/2014/2015 [Support]

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

I'm attempting an 'upgrade' from SP3 home to your SP3 Pro - using an old fashioned CD... the PC was working flawlessly for years until I retired it... pulling out of storage to mess around with some retro gaming and I thought I'd go to the pro version...

Small issue; the installer is hanging... it seems to be just doing its thing... but I let it run for over 2 days patiently waiting / and ignoring it... then I attempted to reboot; multiple times; reburned another CD... no errors; just doesnt ever actually finish...

At this point the old OS appears to be gone; attempting to load through F8 safemode only brings up the pro version; which says 'install can't be completed in safemode - restarting'... and back to the setup screen where nothing happens...

Attempting to identify 'where' its hanging I've removed the CD a few times attempting to get an error to appear; the only clue I can get is that it is looking for a folder called:

"asms" which is in the i386 folder...

I've attempted to load this folder onto a usb stick and attempted to get it to load that way; no luck.. as it seems to find the folder just fine on the CD anyway but never continues the install..

"Setup will complete in 35 minutes" Installing devices...

Thats all I got...

How do I troubleshoot this? I'm in a bullheaded mood and would like to figure out how to get it to finish...

I have the machine backed up; missing about 8 pieces of software that I'd rather not reinstall... I could just wipe it and walk away... but I'd like to know if there are any ideas here...

Does anyone have a link to where I can see step by step what the installer is actually doing so I can figure out where its hanging?

Well here's a dumb reply but if it's a corrupt file you don't encounter from daily use and the installer is seeing it that may be the cause for the hang. It happens. You know the drill: "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW"
Sorry if you already know that I don't know your level. It might help others for a reference.
If I get a chance tonight I'll see if I can find what you are looking for.

Hello is this 64bit ? :)
Is what 64 bit? XP was a pain using 64 bit drivers if memory serves me well. None of the manufacturers paid much attention to 64 bit stuff until Win 7. I remember people laughing at me when I was trying to deal with blue screens, etc with XP 64 bit.

Edit: I was even invited to an Intel event when 64 bit XP was released. They gave out an Intel board a 64 bit CPU and an Intel t-shirt. I still have the t-shirt anyway. It's a conversation piece like my ARPANET t-shirt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back