• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Best Version of Office?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OK for those who have had some long term experience with Office they have found, what's the best version to just install and doesn't require constant fiddling around with?
Something you could install, is permanently activated without any recurring activation fixes. Does such a thing exist in current versions or have all the holes been plugged?
I keep reading so many comments that are so contrary I thought this might be a good place to start a general discussion.
NO LINKS PLEASE!!!!!
Thanks

Just to throw my 2 cents in I avoid Office when I can, but I stumble across it all the time. So other than the 2007 enterprise, VLK or whatever else you care to call it, it's my understanding all you can do with later versions is fool the activation module for another trial period and the crack removes the warning messages, alerts or whatever you call the nag boxes. At one point I recall fooling around with the date and year would work but that was long ago and no longer works.
Did I miss anything? I know there has been discussions here in the past about Office and I admit I didn't totally understand everything that was being said. I am just wondering if perhaps there is something that might be permanent that didn't have to be constantly resident and active and that the a/v would go bonkers if it sees it.

Just to throw my 2 cents in I avoid Office when I can, but I stumble across it all the time. So other than the 2007 enterprise, VLK or whatever else you care to call it, it's my understanding all you can do with later versions is fool the activation module for another trial period and the crack removes the warning messages, alerts or whatever you call the nag boxes. At one point I recall fooling around with the date and year would work but that was long ago and no longer works.
Did I miss anything? I know there has been discussions here in the past about Office and I admit I didn't totally understand everything that was being said. I am just wondering if perhaps there is something that might be permanent that didn't have to be constantly resident and active and that the a/v would go bonkers if it sees it.

I agree, v2007 is an option, v2016 and v2019 can't be permanently activated.

libreoffice is the best version of office

Oh I agree. Unfortunately people have become addicted to M/S Office and get nasty when you suggest change. I'd be mad if I was forced to learn that bowl of spaghetti too.

just stay away from anything that you have to subscribe to. its the worst waste of money!!! if you install office then make sure its not app driven, because you'll need internet to be able to run any apps. which is stupid. if youre on an airplane trying to use office 365! hhaha just get your version that a non app driven, and you'll be fine!!

there is a type of development that uses psychological techniques to generate an addiction response, so you want to keep using the software and spending more money, even though it doesn't really do anything for you, at least not any better than other software; it is similar to how the 'like' response to the facebook feed generates an endorphin release, or something like that
office uses this, like candy crush; flowery effects and stuff that just don't matter; libreoffice does not have an instant preview effect like office, but why do you need one? can't you 'imagine' what the preview would look like? then you click once and see it for real. Then you can hit ctrl-z to remove the effect, if you don't like it.
So, MSOffice basically does your 'imagining' for you. Some people want that. It is easier to not have to think so much. I guess?
Psychological manipulation is everywhere these days. An easy example is subliminal messaging, as seen in early movies to sell products. They would flash for one frame in 30 per second a message saying 'buy more soap'. Or perhaps a picture of someone enjoying a cigarette.
So that practice was prohibited and they came up with more devious methods of psychological control.
LibreOffice is just a program that works, without all that extra nonsense that does your thinking for you and hooks you with reward dependency, ooh, aah. (in ms office) you wind up wasting MORE time previewing every damn flowery effect they have each time you want to make a change.
I'm sure someone can give us other good reasons to not use MSO.

I'll say that office 98 was pretty good, maybe 2000 as well, or even 2003? not exactly sure, but 98 was definitely bs free, for the most part. It is a different world now.

... what's the best version to just install and doesn't require constant fiddling around with?...

As a person who works with many types of "office" software, I can guarantee that there is always "someone" who finds something "terrible" on each of them.

From my personal point of view, the best version was Microsoft office 2007 (even that I used to work more with LibreOffice).
Previously, everyone wanted Microsoft Office (any version was enough and easy to use), now with all the updates and changes in the applications, it is difficult to maintain only one setting for the entire office software (without any fiddling around as you said).

LibreOffice is an absolutely good choice, but whenever users try to link or edit files with other programs (eg Microsoft Office, Polaris, WPS, etc.) they always encounter a problem over time.

The only solution is to increase the "PC education" of users and ensure that they can solve any problems with "office platforms" themselves.

BTW Sorry for a long post

You know just thinking of posting something I have thought for a long time now.
I always felt Office 2007 Enterprise vlk was Bill Gates going away gift to Windows users.
For example: every single installation I run across on home computers uses those same (10?) keys that have been floating around for 13 years now. Microsoft has never bothered to blacklist them or block upgrades for that particular version. You can continue installing it on any version of Windows. Practically any other version particularly anything newer all the keys must be validated and logged at Microsoft excluding KSM which must be repeatedly activated on a local server. I am not sure if newer versions have been EOL'd yet.
I ran across a notice that Outlook 2007 had been excluded from an upgrade which I thought was funny and I wished I had saved the post.
So 2007 ent. gets my vote as it installs and works with 100% of the features and requires none of the activation funny business. ( In both these cases Funny = Weird and pain in the ass VS. Funny = Haha. The same case could be applied to English is a funny language.)

Most of us will be forced to surrender to subscriptions; whether at the office or with our families, all we can do is try to advise and go after work arounds....find the best stand alone versions . . . but as that becomes to complicated and our family members just do what they need asap . . . we will be paying a lot monthly for software until a different model comes along... I don't blame the software developers . . . but it is frustrating. Office 2003-2007 are all good. To the extent 2016 can be maintained as stand alone, it is acceptable. I think 2003 was the breakthrough version for MSWord - not a lot of innovation since then.

OK for those who have had some long term experience with Office they have found, what's the best version to just install and doesn't require constant fiddling around with?
Something you could install, is permanently activated without any recurring activation fixes. Does such a thing exist in current versions or have all the holes been plugged?
I keep reading so many comments that are so contrary I thought this might be a good place to start a general discussion.
NO LINKS PLEASE!!!!!
Thanks
I've been using Office 2010 since 2012. I activate it and it works without any hitches or problems. It even does security updates without any problems. I've put it on 6-7 laptops and PC's as I've upgraded, and never had any problems. It needs an activator, which works very simply. Occasionally I've tried something like Office 2016 but always de-activated after a while. I'm happy with Office 2010

Back