• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

FDM the best IDM alternative

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

I will suggest Brave Browser. It has download and torrent manager integrated.

Download here - http://bit.ly/_brave_browser
I still am having mixed feelings in regards to Brave. I don't think you can trust online reviews per se due to their ad revenue model. IDK about replacing ads with ads seems like an oxymoron although you do get paid to watch while web owners are deprived of their revenues.
Here's the best place I have found where a good unbiased discussion about Brave Browser takes place. Check it out:

Last edited:
i looked at brave on a recommendation from my cousin, who is very into that sort of thing, steemit, etc.
it seemed weak, wimpy; kinda lame
lemme look again... meh
bat coin is down over time; but it is worth something
i've been liking firefox lately, as it doesn't cache my youtube videos on the hard drive.
i'll try it
DownThemAll was really good for a while, till they changed the fundamentals of the addons and the developer gave up. It still works on legacy firefox if you are interested. Multi-thread downloader. Not every site allows multi-thread though.

Firefox is probably the best... but if you *have* to have Chrome, try Iron... as for Brave... I don't think so.

Firefox is probably the best... but if you *have* to have Chrome, try Iron... as for Brave... I don't think so.
Firefox has always been better than good except when "the group" pulled the shenanigans killing all the add-ons with no notice.... Shades of Apple products. :oops:

probably pressure from corporations, who pay money for 'firefox pro' or whatever, i guess; who knows
also a way to kill things like DTA which was enabling me to download movies; i used it on FF legacy for a while and eventually the movie sites got wise to it. I just gave up trying to download. I've been buying dvd's on ebay. Kinda nice to actually 'own' the movie. Or TV show. Got season one of Heroes full HD 1080p for $4 free shipping.

I'm using SeaMonkey right now. It crashes every so often. But it works great as a 'default' windows browser, instead of 'edge'. It seems to have an engine similar to older firefox (legacy). I found a version of uBlock Origin that works fine with it. I can do everything with it except watch youtube videos, which i prefer to do on firefox for the reason i mentioned above. SeaMonkey will do youtube videos of course. I haven't checked to see how it is cacheing.

You should check out the usenet jamvaru. That's where my name comes from, my old group although it's a shitehole now. DVD's? What's that? Anyway it's cheap, once stuff is posted on there it rarely goes away. It takes a bit of care and patience but there are still many treasures there available 24/7 and not subject to some turd who won't seed something past 95%.

I think IDM is better.

I think IDM is better.
I won't argue. However if you read the posts on the torrent indexes, cracked versions of IDM seems to be a favorite vector of people who would want to put nasty stuff on your system. Downloading stuff that's not intended to be downloaded seems to be a cat and mouse game lately with no winners but these tools do work magic.

You should check out the usenet jamvaru. That's where my name comes from, my old group although it's a shitehole now. DVD's? What's that? Anyway it's cheap, once stuff is posted on there it rarely goes away. It takes a bit of care and patience but there are still many treasures there available 24/7 and not subject to some turd who won't seed something past 95%.
Usenet? Who uses that anymore? It's a paid, centralized service... try something free and decentralized like torrents lol

You would be very surprised what you can find hanging around on the Usenet. Granted torrents have the fresh stuff but you never know when you might need such and such and no one is seeding it. Once something posts to the Usenet barring a DMCA takedown which is infrequent, it's there for extremely fast download 24/7/365 for many years I caught an insane recurring deal on a service just before they were acquired by a larger provider. I get speeds you could never even dream of with a torrent on the Usenet as well.

I still am having mixed feelings in regards to Brave. I don't think you can trust online reviews per se due to their ad revenue model. IDK about replacing ads with ads seems like an oxymoron although you do get paid to watch while web owners are deprived of their revenues.

When it comes to browsers you always have to have a second alternative. A combination of Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Opera or Brave is your best choice.

If one starts failing try another one and use from there, the real problem is passwords as you have to login on each one.

When it comes to Brave, is the best browser out there, because, webmasters can get donations and user can make money with ads. I wonder if this forum has start accepting BAT?

Is your old usenet group indexed with google groups? I can make a app for it.

Is your old usenet group indexed with google groups? I can make a app for it.
My old Usenet group turned to garbage. In our heyday this was copying a dbl sided DVD and compressing the video to fit onto a single side DVD-R using Pegasys video encoder. The only other alternative at the time was DVD Shrink which was a POS and produced choppy pixelated video that was at the time according to group standards unwatchable. We had to reauthor the video once it was compressed, produce a DVD-5 ISO and post it to the Usenet for group comments. I got into PAL to NTSC conversion changes which was an insane undertaking given the tools we had. So the reality way, way back then was home theater was centered around DVDs. You were the shite at the time if you could find a way to squeeze DTS audio on your rip as well. That was the only real way to enjoy a movie at home. Computer video needed to come a long long way which it has now.
So that was state of the art back in the last century. The members of my group treated this as a technical challenge and a way to display your skills. Prirating was secondary although we all did enjoy the fruits of our labor.
It may sound kind of lame now but my current employer hired me 16 years ago on the condition I walk away from that group and I did. The irony is the Usenet was not a big thing for binaries back then. Very few had the bandwidth to utilise it. It was not considered a big distribution channel. After I left then came the P2P stuff. I was kind of surprised to see guys selling pirated DVDs out of their car trunks (or boots) at the corner gas station . Many of those were our old rips and not DVD Shrink junk. I did feel kind of bad, believe me that was not our intent but just like everything else if you can exploit it, someone will.
So that's my story. I told it solely out of boredom and you will never hear it again. I guess I can finally change my handle too. It was fun.

I get speeds you could never even dream of with a torrent on the Usenet as well.
I can nearly saturate my Gigabit connection with torrents. 80MB/s is not uncommon at all, and it goes higher than that. Tell me, what speeds are you talking about?
And I don't know why you'd want old obsolete stuff anyway.

I can nearly saturate my Gigabit connection with torrents. 80MB/s is not uncommon at all, and it goes higher than that. Tell me, what speeds are you talking about?
And I don't know why you'd want old obsolete stuff anyway.
Torrents? What torrent is seeding at 80MB/s? I have 1 Gigabit Fiber to the premise nutty low latency and my ISP has me 10% over-provisioned. If I get 3MB/s from a torrent I celebrate. That's if the asshats aren't holding the torrent to 97% for days. Exactly how long have you been around the Net? Do you even look at the original dates most of these torrents have been seeded? Most of the programs are very dated old versions of programs that have been around a while. TV video can be a few days to a week fresher than the Usenet but the movies tend to be of higher quality overall as size isn't such an issue.

Last edited:
Just an observation but it seems IDM is being singled out and blocked lately. You get notices like "copyright so and so" violation, or the video just plain won't trigger IDM. Such is the price of fame. Even the HTML code is so munged it's almost impossible to find the source of some videos of web pages. I am not sayin it can't be done but it's not so easy anymore.

Back