• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Slow copy speeds to external drive

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

avengers11

Nov 6, 2016
Hello all
Great site and many knowledgeable members.
In the early days of Windows 10 and as far back as Win 8, I could copy large files (eg. 50 GB) at about 90 MB/s to an external drive
Then something happened, I can now only reach a max speed of 27 MB/s, with 50 GB or 1 GB.
I have tried upgrading and checking motherboard USB drivers, copied to empty drives, disabled indexing, disabled antivirus, updated polices for better performance,
experimented with USB 3.0 and older drives and still the same 27 MB/s speed.
Was I dreaming, hmm... except for the fact that I have a Dell laptop with Win 10, not updated for some time and it does any size, to any drive file copy at 98 MB/s.
I may have read that MS is the culprit for this with one of there updates.
Can anyone help?

Well the stock Microsoft replies are pretty much a bunch of hooey.
I suspect that the folks in the threads who suddenly had everything fix itself were plants to make M/S look good.
To tell you the truth I have experienced the same thing but too lazy to do anything about it.
If I get a chance I will look around. I have noticed that the integrity of files transferred this way are not always intact meaning something is interfering with the transfer. It's got to be the new way M/S decided to deal with hardware. Let me check into it.
Hey if someone knows something outside of the stock replies the Avenger has already done, please share it. It only affects Windows and NTFS and possibly FAT 32 file systems it seems.

Surely most of you will agree the Microsoft of lately seems to take one step forward and then two steps backward. It's very frustrating at times.

Last edited:
Hello all
Great site and many knowledgeable members.
In the early days of Windows 10 and as far back as Win 8, I could copy large files (eg. 50 GB) at about 90 MB/s to an external drive
Then something happened, I can now only reach a max speed of 27 MB/s, with 50 GB or 1 GB.
I have tried upgrading and checking motherboard USB drivers, copied to empty drives, disabled indexing, disabled antivirus, updated polices for better performance,
experimented with USB 3.0 and older drives and still the same 27 MB/s speed.
Was I dreaming, hmm... except for the fact that I have a Dell laptop with Win 10, not updated for some time and it does any size, to any drive file copy at 98 MB/s.
I may have read that MS is the culprit for this with one of there updates.
Can anyone help?
Well you are in luck. After a few weeks of planning and anxiety I completely dismantled and rebuilt the entire corp. network. Last Thursday and Friday all the big bosses were taking a very long weekend so it was time to strike. Much to my amazement it went off without any major glitches. Chalk one up for the home team!
So now all I pretty much have to do the rest of the week is sit around in my lab waiting for all hell to break loose. Doesn't look like that will happen so I will set up a variety of systems and see what kind of observations I can make regarding this USB debacle.
If you knew me well you would know the one thing I can't accept is not knowing so this USB deal is driving me nuts. I do agree it's highly probable it's a M/S deal but I have learned never count out Intel, they do a pretty good job of hiding their problems and M/S is too happy to lend a hand to quietly patch them up.
We shall see, we shall see.......

I did notice that the transfer speeds are sporadic as you mentioned, never looked that hard at them before. I ran out of time today before I could get much farther but tomorrow's another day.

OK After some thought and some time to do so I have come to the following conclusion.
For those of you who were around, prior to Win 2000 Windows had a bad reputation of tossing out data sitting in buffers on shut down. M/S came up with a couple of fixes that I am aware of. One was really slowing down shut downs and not letting the shut down and RAM flush unless the user gave permission or all open programs had statefully closed.
I notice that Windows is all gung ho when you begin a large data transfer VIA USB. I suspect the reasoning is if the system crashes with 2 GB of data in transit it's a big deal. Unfortunately because the data prefetch is throttled with large transfers Windows is constantly waiting for data read/writes to the source/destination. I hope that makes sense.
Microsoft used to catch huge amounts of sh!te for tossing out data way back when and this was there response.
Granted it's slow but you don't lose much if any data anymore.

Back