• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

VPN provider bans BitTorrent after getting sued by film studios

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018

TorGuard VPN to block torrents using firewall.​

TorGuard will "use commercially reasonable efforts to block BitTorrent traffic on its servers in the United States using firewall technology," reveal the documents:
Reported by Bleeping Computer
thanks to Ax Sharma

The are my VPN provider, @ $15 every 6 months I couldn't refuse. Since most of these VPN lease space on the same PoP's the speeds are comparable to most VPNs. That also raises the question how exactly the MPAA gathered their court evidence and what was presented. No word from TorGuard, but since it was a US court's ruling at best it's only enforceable at US PoP's, we will see. I have seen no change. Since they also included a Socks5 proxy some seem to think those are primarily the target of the ruling since they aren't completely transparent. TorGuard did go out of their way to provide instructions incorporating their client into various torrent programs (which have been taken down), it made them a target.

I use NORD VPN they had a really good deal. $3.30 a month for a 2-year deal. Believe it or not With it on using most nearby cities my up and down speeds are the same to a bit higher with it on. I use Real-Debrid for almost all of my torrents and don't have to worry about the MPAA. Not that it really matters though I used torrent since around 2004 with no VPN or Proxy and never got the letter. Knock on wood.

It is critical to use a virtual private network when downloading torrents from a client like uTorrent. VPNs secure your browsing and shield you from your ISP's hammer. It's also crucial to use proxies from reputable websites, such as https://soax.com/. Several users, however, have reported issues with uTorrent and their VPN, with torrents failing to load when connected to the VPN. The most common suspects for this issue are a leaking VPN or a lack of P2P functionality. Several things can cause your VPN connection to be mistakenly disrupted, and you may not even be aware of it.

The are my VPN provider, @ $15 every 6 months I couldn't refuse. Since most of these VPN lease space on the same PoP's the speeds are comparable to most VPNs. That also raises the question how exactly the MPAA gathered their court evidence and what was presented. No word from TorGuard, but since it was a US court's ruling at best it's only enforceable at US PoP's, we will see. I have seen no change. Since they also included a Socks5 proxy some seem to think those are primarily the target of the ruling since they aren't completely transparent. TorGuard did go out of their way to provide instructions incorporating their client into various torrent programs (which have been taken down), it made them a target.
i have been using privado about 5 months now-entry special $30 year-great speeds so far links available all over the world-have used netherlands and NYC area so far with great results-just FYI

Any blockages are not a problem if you use a proxy server. If you have trouble choosing a good service, I suggest you contact them here. These guys helped me in my time.

This is why I use Real-Debrid to download the vast majority of my media. Just load the torrent on their site which is most of the time already cached and then direct download from them at my full speed. This takes the risk out of downloading movies and TV shows.

I use NORD VPN they had a really good deal. $3.30 a month for a 2-year deal. Believe it or not With it on using most nearby cities my up and down speeds are the same to a bit higher with it on. I use Real-Debrid for almost all of my torrents and don't have to worry about the MPAA. Not that it really matters though I used torrent since around 2004 with no VPN or Proxy and never got the letter. Knock on wood.
Nord and Sufshark are exactly the same and both have merged together.

I still am hanging out w/Torguard using non-US POPs. I don't rely on torrents for multi-media files, mostly programs and apps and speeds are always limited by how much bandwidth members of the swarm are sharing. At $2.50/month in perpetuity, I have no complaints.
Since almost all VPN providers use the exact same POPs ( Points of Presence or remote servers, a VERY good thing) no one is going to get caught by tracing the download from the sender. For an analogy, it would be like trying to trace a piece of snail mail with no ID inside, no return address and no postmark from the sender's area. The best you know is that the local post office delivered it, period.
If some law enforcement agency would try to catch you, it would take multiple warrants and some previous general knowledge from an outside source of who was the sending individual.

In short, if you are not committing a serious felony, transmitting kiddie or bestiality pron, or other sh*tty crimes against the public, you will be OK. There are plenty of folks out there doing exactly what you are doing w/o the protection of a VPN who are easy pickings for bounty hunting law practices with rookie attorneys who have to justify their salaries. That's what drives those DMCA violation busts.

I just started using a VPN a couple of years ago and used torrents basically since the original BitTorrent app came out. I count myself lucky that I never got the letter. Which unless they've changed things they would send 3 cease and desist letters. If you pirated after that they'd come after you. Even now with the IPTV, they are only going after the providers and mostly just the ones that are too greedy to keep it on the lowdown. But I really don't use torrents much anymore. I use Real-Debrid for downloading my torrents from their cache at full speed and never have to connect to the torrent.

We sure have come a long way since the days of Kazaa and dial-up. It would take a couple of hours at 2.5Kb/s to DL one song and when it finished it was like Christmas. LOL

We sure have come a long way since the days of Kazaa and dial-up. It would take a couple of hours at 2.5Kb/s to DL one song and when it finished it was like Christmas. LOL
I remember the day I was able to download my first "music" file from a ftp. It was about 10 seconds of the song "Kung Fu Fighting" and was one of the first songs available. It was long before broadband was available, it was the very old days. I had a Sprint dial-up account, 56K modem although this might have been after I saved up and bought my 1200 baud modem. It wasn't really a sound file, it was synthesized using the VIC chip on a C64 or VIC20, who knows? It took all night to download the file and I remember getting up and playing it and thought to myself, shit this is going to change everything. Decades later, it has.
This was way before torrents, Mp3's, Walkmans were the thing then. Cassette tapes were used to store programs (called datasettes LOL), 5 1/4" floppies came along later and were really expensive. Things have come a long way.

Back